VMware Upgrade 3.5 to vSphere

RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anyone done this yet? I've got everything ready to go for it via vCenter Update Manager but have yet to pull the trigger. Wanted to see if there are any "gotchas" in the upgrade process.

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't heard, but I don't think there's that many people doing it yet (in production).

I probably am going to wait until I get some new servers in and do a clean install instead of an upgrade.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are you using any other VMware products (SRM, Lab Manager, etc)?
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not for this project. This is strictly a ESX/ESXi upgrade with locally stored virtual machines.
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Not for this project. This is strictly a ESX/ESXi upgrade with locally stored virtual machines.
    That makes things easy then.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    That makes things easy then.

So I take it you have done it and it's a straightforward process. No hidden catches?
    RTmarc wrote: »
    So I take it you have done it and it's a straightforward process. No hidden catches?
    There are a few things with vCenter (NETWORK SERVICE needs read permissions on the root drive, etc) just read the docs and the KB errata and you'll be fine.