Passed 70-297

bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
I squeaked by with a 727 on my first attempt, which isn't bad since I didn't spend a lot of time studying. I just did 70-294 a few weeks ago, and I took a week or so off before jumping in for 297.

I started studying with Transcender, and that's what I used for the majority of my prep time. About 1/3 of the questions were similar to topics from 294, so I didn't need to refresh my memory on those. Another 1/3 or so dealt with DNS and DHCP, which I deal with regularly at work, so I spent a few hours reviewing all the little things that I don't regularly have to worry about with those services. After that, the remaining questions dealt with migrating/restructuring older domains to fit a 2003 forest design. I used CBT Nuggets and read through the Syngress book for those.

As far as the live exam goes, I had 6 testlets and 48 questions total. Testlets ranged from 5 to 12 questions, and the time allowed for each testlet worked out to about 3 minutes/question. The questions were fairly easy (generally), but the time pressures due to the testlet format did get to me early on.

Next up: 70-293 to finish the MCSE
Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ugh, how did you get all out of order like that? 293 is not a fun one to end one icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

Oh well, congrats on the pass!
  • hannoshannos Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats!
    I have mine tomorrow morning (exactly 24 hours from now!) and I'm really not prepared for it.

Last one for MCSE 2003 too. I suspect I waited too long between this exam and 70-294, which I did somewhere around January. Motivation to study just isn't there!
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • sys228sys228 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Contrats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif

How long were you given per case studay? And did you have to complete each case study within that time before being forced to the next case study?

I've got my exam next tuesday and it would be nice to know.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sys228 wrote: »
    How long were you given per case studay? And did you have to complete each case study within that time before being forced to the next case study?

The length of time for each case study varied based on the number of questions. From what I could tell, you got about 3 minutes per question, so a 6 question case study was about 17-18 minutes, and a 12 question case study gave you about twice as long.

If you run out of time on a case study, or if you end it early, that's it. You can't go back to those questions, and any time you had left over does not carry over to the next case study.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
    Great thanks. At least I know what to expect now.

Good luck with 293!

:)
  • hannoshannos Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    woohoo, passed this morning with an 836!

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I never went anywhere near running out of time.
    I read the questions first, in order, and answered them as I got to them. Some did not need me to read the documentation provided though.
    Others I went through the info provided to find the correct response (for those that relate to network and business requirements).

Being a relatively fast reader I didn't experience any trouble finding what I needed quickly.

That finishes the MCSE 2003 for me!
  • FishOnAHFishOnAH Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratz on your MCSE! icon_thumright.gif
    Good work Hannos! :D