Retreat, Regroup & Future Attack Strategy

genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
Well, took the 70-294 again this morning and again, it got the best of me. In fact, it kicked me harder than it did the last time.

Score: 605

How in the world could I do worse?

Of the 5 Objectives here are my relative percentages:

1st Attempt:

1) Plan & Implement an AD Structure: 70%
2) Manage & Maintain an AD Infrastructure: 48%
3) Plan & Implement a User, Computer & Group Strategy: 100%
4) Plan an Implement Group Policy:75%
5) Manage & Maintain Group Policy: 38%
2nd Attempt:

1) Plan & Implement an AD Structure: 95%
2) Manage & Maintain an AD Infrastructure: 48%
3) Plan & Implement a User, Computer & Group Strategy: 50%
4) Plan an Implement Group Policy: 40%
5) Manage & Maintain Group Policy: 55%

*Sigh* I'm really not sure where to go from here. I'm not at all aware of what I'm doing wrong. I do plan on setting up my own virtual lab to do a lot more hands on work but that's really just the technical aspect of this. The 'Microsoft Reasoning' aspect of these tests is not something I know how to pursue.

I've got one more voucher that I was going to use for the 297 but since I have to purchase another voucher anyway, I'll be getting Transcender this time. I'm just gonna go through those question/answers with a fine tooth comb.

Hopefully when I take this again in about a month, I'll be able to report a passing score. :)
1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012

Comments

• slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The best thing you can do for yourself if you haven't already is to purchase transcender. After having failed the test twice I can assume you don't have it. The second best is Cbt nuggets.

This is a hard exam and in my opinion is the second most important exam in the MCSE. You really need to understand the implications of putting group policy's at certain levels and what your targeting, site, ou, domain; user or computer and how group policy's set at a higher or lower level will effect policy's at higher or lower level's.

I'm willing to bet thats where your getting tripped up.

1. Transcender. *Must Have*
    2. Vmware workstation with Three servers, atleast two domains and at least one client workstation.
    3. Cbt nuggets.

*70-297* Read this to save time Money and aggravation.

This test was also difficult and to date is the only certification test I have failed (9 taken failed this one once) I found this one difficult, because there is some Nt4 material covered on it that I didn't find anywhere else in my MCSE studies, I have never worked with NT4 in the field thankfully, and since I did a ton of study for 294 (Global knowledge class, cbt nuggets, 100 hours lab, transcender) I slacked off on this one and it bite me. Working the clock and getting familiar with the testlets is crucial and you won't survive if your not familiar with the interface. The transcender for this is a carbon copy of their interface.

So do not even think about taking this test without transcender and use it as 70% of your study materials.

All this can get expensive so look into using your job resources, Education reimbursment, equipment loan, etc.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    *70-297* Read this to save time Money and aggravation.

I'll second this one. Some of the details I saw on both of my 70-294 exams (yes, I failed on my first attempt) dealt with aspects of upgrading older domains/forests. One particular question was based on something that was covered in less than one page in the 70-294 books I read, but it was covered in depth in my 70-297 book.

The good news is that with a good understanding of 294, a refresher on DNS/DHCP/WINS from 291, and a few days of studying NT4 and 2000 to 2003 migrations, you can be ready for 70-297 if you choose that for your design exam. I passed both exams within the past month.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • FishOnAHFishOnAH Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear about that genXrcist. Seems like me you and Big J are pushing each other right through these exams. I will say I used the Transcenders, and I found them helpful. I also spend some time creating a forest/domain/child domain. Configuring a trust relationship, configure site link costs and just playing around in sites and services to see where to check to make a DC a GC and where to enable universal group membership caching for a site.

Everyone is different but I like to make myself a list of facts that I have trouble with such as in group policy you can assign software to computers but you can publish it. You can Assign and Publish to users, assign puts it in the start menu, publish puts it in the control panel. (Assign/Start Menu & Publish/Panel) things like that to help me remember. These are things that I know but reciting them before the test helps me have them fresh to quickly reule out 1 or 2 answers.

As far as terminal server goes Microsoft will probably want to you to pick to install programs it via Add/Remove programs. Which (I believe) puts the server into install mode so the install writes to the all users hive and not the current user hive.

My score sheet looked similar to your second attempt, I had 100% in Plan & Implement an AD Structure and somewhere between 60% and 80% in the rest. Which ironically was the category I did the worst in on my Transcenders. I still think they help greatly though. They are by far my favorite study guide, but I learn everything by seeing and doing and very very little by reading.

You can do it, I know you can!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hey Man,

Sorry you didn't pass the exam. I heard this one is very detailed and wordy as well. Have you ever heard of Techskills? I have used them for my certs. I went to a school and signed up the MCSA program and the school used Techskills Testprep and techlabs for hands-on practice. I'm not sure about the price now, but it might be an option.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    No worries, your not alone. The trick is just trying to figure out what they are asking. Easier said than done, but pay special attention to the wording. You'll get it next time GenX!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Thanks guys, for the encouragement and the sound advice. I have already purchased my voucher/transcender combo from getcertify4less.com and will be installing the 293 onto our laptop prior to flying out to Denver this weekend. I wanted to take a break from studying but just can't seem to relax until I get it done. :) Then again, maybe a nice long weekend to clear my head is exactly what I need...it's not like the exam is going anywhere. heh

SLinux, I appreciate your comments and I think you're right. The GP & OU Structure side of things is tripping me up. I just don't seem to get what Microsoft is trying to ask of me.

bw, thanks for your comments as well. 297 is the design exam I want to take to wrap things up and I certainly won't even think about taking it until I've got a Transcender for that one too. :)

Hey Fish! Yes, you me, BigJ, motoGP...all of us are wrestling through at roughly the same pace. Can't wait to be on the other side of the MCSE in a couple of months helping out the new crop of masochists. :)

pso, I had not heard of techskills yet but I will certainly look into them. It certainly couldn't hurt at this point, right? Lol :)

Netadmin; That's the nice thing about this forum, company. In the real world, no one really understands what it is that I'm shooting for here. If they're not IT people, they don't want to hear geek speak so they can't empathize with me...nor do they want to! Lol And a lot of the IT people I know are stagnant in their careers and don't want to hear about this either. In fact, they oppose my even talking about this stuff even more vehemently! I think it's because they know deep down inside that they're not moving forward, and if you're not moving forward you're dying.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for the encouragement. Just like Arnold I can promise you.... "I'll Be Back."
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    I just took this exam today and unfortunately did not pass too. I only got a 548. That SUCKS!!! This by far my worst exam score ever. I plan to get back on track and study. I didn't have a lot of time to study this weekend as I was cramming, but I have the second shot. I am going to try it for the second time in one week. We'll see.
    Taking 70-294 very soon...again
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Gen, sorry to hear about the fail. I happened to pop into this forum and saw your thread. I hope that I can keep up with ya'll, with so much going on right now, I am falling behind. Good luck with the second attempt, like every other test, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!