Exam in 2 hours

ApluscomApluscom Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey, I just wanted to say Thanks I've been using your website for a couple weeks now and I just got around to making a username. But I've been reading a ton of the technotes and using the MS book and transcender and wanted to say I appreciate all the advice on here from everyone. And hopefully in a couple hours I will come out a new MCP! icon_thumright.gif
Anthony

Comments

• ApluscomApluscom Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well did not pass yesterday made a 609 icon_rolleyes.gif gonna give it another try on july 6th. The exam was alot more tuff than I had expected, there was a TON of RIS and IIS questions even had a microsoft front page question icon_confused.gif: but hey I know what to study more for now atleast. Maybe try something besides transcender and the MS book this time.
  • netBoogernetBooger Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This test took me by surprise also. But keep in mind that the questions usually look harder than they are if you just slow down and interpret it then you should be able to knock out at least two of the answers.

Good luck next time. My advice is to get as much hands on as you can within XP, and do as many labs as you can as well.
  • bikeandskibikeandski Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also failed this test my first time (so far my only failed cert exam). but I past it the second time. I'm sure you will too... In my opinion the 70-290 is a lot easier.
    Yeah I agree with the questions look harder than what they are. I mostly think it was nerves that screwed me over lol and it being my first microsoft exam but in away I think it may have helped. It was just the fact of paying 125.00 for a "practice exam" icon_lol.gif
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Apluscom wrote:
    Thanks I've been using your website for a couple weeks now and I just got around to making a username.

What took you so long? icon_wink.gif

But sorry to hear about the fail. Yeah, this test can be a bit tricky because there is SO much beneath the surface with XP that they test you on. Even the experienced XP user has only scratched the surface. Definitely study up on unattended installs. Typically I try to get 3-5 study resources for each exam. (Syngress/MS Press/Sybex books, Trancender, Preplogic, Technet, Technotes, Cramsession, ect...)

Good luck next time icon_thumright.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • NozzaCNozzaC Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you set up a lab environment and actually been through all the examples? Because personally I find I can't really get a proper grasp on things until I've actually tried them out - rather than just book reading.

I found the test surprisingly easy after doing my labs. I think the MS Press book covers all you need to know but you do actually have to try the things out. Most of the time the first try of setting up say IIS or a RIS server doesn't work as expected because of some minor point. And those minor points often reveal some linking information that you need to know. It's also a hell of a lot easier to remember the name of some file if you've created it a few times.

With Virtual PC or similar there is no reason not to setup up a domain and try this stuff out. You get extended trial versions of the OS's with the MS Press books.
  • ShelpdoggShelpdogg Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NozzaC wrote: »
    With Virtual PC or similar there is no reason not to setup up a domain and try this stuff out. You get extended trial versions of the OS's with the MS Press books.

I think I'm going to do this too Nozza...I have an external drive that I'm going to set up a few virtual machines on.....thanks
    Working on MCITP:SA .....70-640 at the moment.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson
    Ok off to take the retake! Feeling alot more confident and hopefully will have a better outcome than last time icon_cheers.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I appreciate all the heads up I'm getting about IIS. I would probably walk in to the test unprepared for that. IIS has very small sections in my books. I would have assumed getting maybe only one question at best.

Read the questions carefully. I hear some questions have like one word that would make the difference from a right and wrong answer.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • shinobishinobi Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The test is very hard, I was sweating through the whole thing. But if you slow down, and think things through, you'll find that you can break down the questions easier, and the data isn't as hard as it seems. Keep at it, Anth, you'll get it.
    Your little brother.