Options

Packet Tracer 5.0 + simulation software

andytandyt Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Starting to study for my CCENT/CCNA again after a 2 yr break, failed my last attempt in Nov 2007.
Im gonna go down the CCENT route this time, and after a week or so of studying Iam really enjoying it and have suprisingly picked up the material really quickly and am looking to try 640-822 in a couple of weeks.

Just a question on simulation software, last time i was using Boson which was okay a bit buggy, but i cant get my copy to work on Win 7.
So i have a copy of packet tracer 5.0 , is this going to be enough for my needs to pass for the CCNA.

any other tips or reccomendations?

Also at the moment i cant afford to buy routers and switches as ideally this would be the best solution.

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• Options
    sandman748sandman748 Member Posts: 104
    I used packet tracer 5.0 exclusively for simulations during my CCNA study. There were a few things I wanted to do that PT couldn't but overall PT was able to do 99% of what was asked of me. What it couldn't do, didnt really impact the overall task.
    Working on CCIE Collaboration:
    Written Exam Completed June 2015 ~ 100 hrs of study
    Lab Exam Scheduled for Dec 2015
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I haven't taken the CCNA yet so I can't fully answer this question. But, I have used two books which included packet tracer activities, which were great. But, I noticed right away that the Packet tracer software limits the commands that can be used when actually using the IOS instead of the little Config tab option that they provide you with. I only notice this from using a Dynamips Lab setup environment with the 12.4 IOS. I'm resorting to the old fashion option and going to purchase some cheaper routers and switches and get some real hands on practice, this way I can satisfy my own curiosity and know that I am prepared. If you can scrap up the money, I would buy a router or two and a switch so you can practice. I know that there are some good deals on ebay for 2650XM's $95 each, with 256MB of DRAM, 46Mb of flash and the 12.4 IOS. When I searched on ebay for 2950 switches, which was what everyone on here recommended that I use, they were anywhere from $50-$100 each.
  • Options
    jonny72jonny72 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have used two books which included packet tracer activities, which were great.

The CCNA Exploration companion and labs books all come with Packet Tracer activities, which I found really useful and well worth working through.
  • Options
    megatran808megatran808 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    andyt wrote: »
    Starting to study for my CCENT/CCNA again after a 2 yr break,

Just a question on simulation software, last time i was using Boson which was okay a bit buggy, but i cant get my copy to work on Win 7.
    So i have a copy of packet tracer 5.0 , is this going to be enough for my needs to pass for the CCNA.

any other tips or reccomendations?

Have you tried compatibility mode for windows 7? Here are the instructions.
    Compatibility Mode - Windows 7 Forums

Basically you would right click on the exe for Packet Tracer and go to properties. Click on compatibility tab and choose a version of windows that it worked under. I would choose XP.

Let me know if this works. I haven't set up windows 7 on my box yet.
    "Love your Job, but never fall in love with your company....because you never know when your company stops loving you!"