Friggin' huge text file!!!

rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
I need a windows application to view a 1 GB log file (text file). Word tops out at 512 MB, notepad, notepad++, gvim, and wordpad can't open it. I don't happen to have a linux box handy to load the file on so I can run "tail".

I'm at a loss. Any ideas? :s

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Baretail says it has no size limit.
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shednik wrote: »
    Baretail says it has no size limit.

I've opened a 5 gig log (.txt) file with TEXTPAD before, it took a while but it got there in the end!
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had textpad open a file which contained all the works of shakespeare. :D
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    I had textpad attempt to open this file and it crashed my system. Stupid 1GB of RAM...

Baretail looks cool. Gonna try it out.
    Baretail FTW! This is a nice little log viewer, much nicer than using notepad. icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    rfult001 wrote: »
    I had textpad attempt to open this file and it crashed my system. Stupid 1GB of RAM...
    You need enough RAM + swap to be able to load the file. Buy more RAM :P
    Work computer sucks, unfortunately. I have another system with 4GB next to me but I am using it for software testing and it would've been a pain to transfer the file to that system as it is not allowed on the network in its current state. Oh well.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    rfult001 wrote: »
    Work computer sucks, unfortunately. I have another system with 4GB next to me but I am using it for software testing and it would've been a pain to transfer the file to that system as it is not allowed on the network in its current state. Oh well.
    Uninstalling Microsoft Bob might speed up your work PC ;)

Go ask your boss nicely for some extra RAM...
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Kiwi Log Viewer is another option.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    I tried the Kiwi free version but it is limited to 700 MB icon_sad.gif
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Open it in Internet Explorer (rename it to txt or html)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...