Options

Social Networking

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
No, not that type of networking (Twitter/Facebook/Linkedin) and no not the other type of networking (swtiches and routers).

I'm talking about face-to-face networking, meeting people and making connections on a personal level.

Seems that I'm having issues trying to connect to other IT like folks in my areas or trying to grow my social circle of IT people. I've tried to join a few user groups, however they seem a bit unprofessional and I'm turned off by that.

What words of wisdom can others offer to grow my IT social circle?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    No, not that type of networking (Twitter/Facebook/Linkedin) and no not the other type of networking (swtiches and routers).

I'm talking about face-to-face networking, meeting people and making connections on a personal level.

Seems that I'm having issues trying to connect to other IT like folks in my areas or trying to grow my social circle of IT people. I've tried to join a few user groups, however they seem a bit unprofessional and I'm turned off by that.

What words of wisdom can others offer to grow my IT social circle?

thanks

Personally, I find it better to network with people that aren't in the same field that I'm in.

1. I like learning about what other people do and hearing what they have going on.

2. Some of the best sources of job leads/business opportunities can be from people in fields outside of your own.

One of the things that worked well for me, when I had time to do it was Toastmasters. You meet people from diverse backgrounds, the meetings are generally very well structured, and you learn how to communicate to people about what you do who may or may not have a technical background.

IMO, being able to communicate a complex technical idea to a non-technical audience is one of the best skills anyone can develop...

MS
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think there's going to be much outside of user groups and conferences if you're sticking in the IT realm.

+1 for Toastmasters; I'm currently involved with that myself.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I went to a local Toastmasters group and was impressed with how professional it was ran Vs some of the IT users groups that I have been involved in. I will start going weekly now.

thanks
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown