Pc repair and network technician proffesional certificate

geeksquad09geeksquad09 Member Posts: 177
IM KIND OF LOST,
I START MY PC REPAIR AND NETWORK TECHNICIAN COURSE NEXT WEEK AND THE COURSE IS 6 MONTHS. I WONDER WHAT KIND OF JOB COULD I GET WITH JUST THE CERTIFICATE. I ALSO PLAN ON GETTING MY A+ AND NETWORK+ AFTER THE COURSE.

HERE IS SOME INFORMATION ON THE COURSE
http://www.westgatech.edu/academics/cis/PCRepairNetTechCert.pdf
Currently Studying for Network+, Server+, and Security+

The computer was born to solve problems that did not exist before

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Certificate training programs are hit or miss...sometimes you can find an employer who will respect them, but I'd venture to say they generally don't hold as much weight as industry certifications from MS or compTIA or Cisco, etc. It's less about the program and more about the skills - so if you learn some good skills and show potential employers that you can apply those skills, then that will help you get a job.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    If you had just A+ and N+, it would probably be of the same value to an employer as if you had those and a training certificate.

If you've been around computers for a while, you could probably do A+ and N+ through self study and not have to pay for the course. It probably costs around $500 or more to get A+ and N+ on your own.
  • geeksquad09geeksquad09 Member Posts: 177
    so could the certificate alone probably get me a geek squad job or would i need a A+ Cert

• Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I actually got started in IT with a simple cert like this. However, it was the job placement people at the school that got me the interview with the company. Do they have job placement offices? (had no other certs at the time)
    not that i know of here is the link to the school
    West Georgia Technical College

here is the computer courses link
    West Georgia Technical College

• NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so could the certificate alone probably get me a geek squad job or would i need a A+ Cert

If you want geek squad...

A+ would probably be enough and potentially cost less...

I snagged these off of their website. It's requirements for their "Double Agent." It isn't much.

Basic Qualifications

* • Proficiency in peer-to-peer networks and operating systems up to Windows Vista; no server experience necessary
    * • Current valid driver’s license and clear driving record
    "By the power of Grayskull"
    thanks a lot for that i purchased a+ certification for dummies book about a week ago so i been studying for it?

What are your long term goals? I can't imagine anyone wanting to make a career out of Geek Squad.
    i want to be a computer technician. i just using geek squad to get my foot in the door. i just called geek squad and told them i start school next week and would i need my certificate. he told me to go ahead and apply without it.

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are going to get your foot in the door at the Geek Squad, an A+ would probably be a good step towards that - in addition to basic computer repair skills, if you can prove that you can be a capable salesperson that would give you a big advantage as well - even though it's a PC repair center they do heavily push additional services and products.
    o well i hope they let me earn my A+ while working there.
    i want to obtain my A+,Network+,Server+Security+ as well

• Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    o well i hope they let me earn my A+ while working there.
    i want to obtain my A+,Network+,Server+Security+ as well

Why would they stop you? On your off time, study for your certs and take your tests....
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    i study the tech notes of the site so far

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Why would they stop you? On your off time, study for your certs and take your tests....
    agreed, I can't see how or why they'd prevent you from getting certified.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    no i mean i hope they hire me without certs and as i begin to work there i earn my certs

• Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    Hi Geeksquad09,

I'm currently one of Geek Squad's "Special Agents" and I can assure you that you can be hired without certifications. Best Buy is a great way to get your foot in the door and get some hands on experience but I'm going to let you know now that depending on your location, you'll have either:

A. Managers who are goal oriented (numbers)
    B. Managers who are people oriented

Working in the store is completely different than working in the field, and if you're serious about getting into IT-I'd make it well known that your intentions are working in the field and not store management. If you do get an opportunity to get into the field, take it and run as fast as you can.

I hope that you land the job you're looking for and welcome to the forums. There are tons of bright minds here and they are usually down to help from the simple to the complex questions you may have.

Good luck!
    thank you for the information, i going to call them back probably Saturday or Monday to check on my application, GOD i hope they hire me lol :)

• Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    I don't know anyone in Georgia, so all I can tell you is to give it your best shot. Remember that this is entry level, and your attitude is what they'll probably rate you on the most.

Stay positive and open minded-You gots this icon_thumright.gif

• rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Go for a tech support job, they generally pay better and will give you skills to move in to Help Desk if you desire.
    I don't think there are any tech support jobs in newnan ga

I don't think there are any tech support jobs in newnan ga

If Geek Squad is what is available now, by all means, go for it. But as was stated earlier, it's as much about sales as it is PC Repair.

But always keep your eyes open for the next opportunity. It doesn't hurt to apply even if you are not fully qualified. The worst they'll say is "No Thanks." But if you get an interview, you at least have a chance. If nothing else, you can practice your interview skills as your education and experience progress.

As you'll read here, finding that first open door can be the hardest. And the doors that job will open may not be your ultimate goal. But there is always a progression. Think of it as paying your dues as a rookie.
    ya that is true but most of the jobs i see in the IT field are from like 8am to 5pm and during that time ill be in school.