I want a rack

col85col85 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
for my home lab

anyone know where i can get a simple rack or cabinet, some of the pro or company ones are £100+

would just like something to keep everything neat

Comments

• djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Do you want a nice rack?

Google "Skeletek".
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    eBay but be prepared to pay crazy prices for shipping if you can't go pick it up.
  • blucasblucas Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

I got a Quik lok 20u's for my unfinished lab (this is music equipment).
    Got from ebay really cheap (maybe luky 52€ with transport)
    What i like more I'm able to move it, very lightly and very robust.

Quiklok
  • col85col85 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    doesnt have to be "nice"

only needs to be a 6U, theres one on ebay new for £37

im guessing this is about the best price ill find?
  • col85col85 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    blucas wrote: »
    Hi

I got a Quik lok 20u's for my unfinished lab (this is music equipment).
    Got from ebay really cheap (maybe luky 52€ with transport)
    What i like more I'm able to move it, very lightly and very robust.

Quiklok

these look like what i want

is it guna hold 4 routers and 2 switchs tho?

dont like the idea of them "hanging" with no support at the back
    col85 wrote: »
    is it guna hold 4 routers and 2 switchs tho?
    It depends on what routers and switches you have but assuming you don't have anything huge it should fit. Add up how many U they take up and if its > 20 then no...
    col85 wrote: »
    dont like the idea of them "hanging" with no support at the back
    Thats normal for rackmount equipment. You can get 4 post racks if you need to install big servers but for most network equipment, it is fine to just use 2.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    These rack threads always make me laugh icon_lol.gif

I want a rack also, preferably a perky, for home use. Approximately D or DD would be sufficient. Price would be negotiable depending on the rest of the package.

Childish I know but I can't help myself!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.

I want a rack also, preferably a perky, for home use. Approximately D or DD would be sufficient. Price would be negotiable depending on the rest of the package.

LOL. I was going to say that you could get a rack if you took hormone therapy ;)

DD is a bit too much IMO anyway :D
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    tiersten wrote: »
    LOL. I was going to say that you could get a rack if you took hormone therapy ;)

DD is a bit too much IMO anyway :D

Luckily God does not listen to your opinion. :)
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648

tiersten wrote:
    LOL. I was going to say that you could get a rack if you took hormone therapy icon_wink.gif

DD is a bit too much IMO anyway icon_biggrin.gif
    Heck B or C is ok if she has a good bank account! ;)
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Heck B or C is ok if she has a good bank account! ;)

Man. You guys want too much out of life. lol.

As for the OP, check out skeletek, I have a 12u and it's perfect. As for the other discussion... sometimes all you need is an A.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Definitely check out the Skeletek racks - I started with a 20U, filled it, and recently added the 10U expansion. Nice quality product.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    Had to play devil's advocate here...

"That's what she said."
    phantasm wrote: »
    Man. You guys want too much out of life. lol.

As for the OP, check out skeletek, I have a 12u and it's perfect. As for the other discussion... sometimes all you need is an A.
    Squeeze out as much as you can! icon_rolleyes.gif After all, it's Jacko's fate for all of us.

+1 - Skeletek looks to be the schiznit
    Squeeze out as much as you can! icon_rolleyes.gif After all, it's Jacko's fate for all of us.
    Uh. I think he did try to squeeze out as much as you can. Thats why he went a little strange in his later years...

Skeletek is good if you're constantly rearranging wires since it allows easy access to everything. If you want something a little neater then you'll need to get a proper cabinet. The Skeletek units do seem to be pretty sturdy and look quite a bit stronger than the various music equipment racks you can buy.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a Skeletek as well; I'm very happy with it. I do regret not getting one that supports four posts though, since I've added some servers in addition to the Cisco equipment I originally had.
    dynamik wrote: »
    I have a Skeletek as well; I'm very happy with it. I do regret not getting one that supports four posts though, since I've added some servers in addition to the Cisco equipment I originally had.
    Sounds like a good reason to upgrade >.>
  • kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    Sounds like a good reason to upgrade >.>

So where is the best place to buy them? I seen them on ebay for about 70 pounds?
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
    kevin31 wrote: »
    So where is the best place to buy them? I seen them on ebay for about 70 pounds?
    If you're in the UK, the UK distributor of Skeletek has an eBay store and a web store. They're similar in price I believe.
    I purchased both of my racks and accessories from here (assuming that you are in the US). Great place: Dantrak Net  - New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.
    Uh. I think he did try to squeeze out as much as you can. Thats why he went a little strange in his later years...
    You mean touching little boys can be fatal? icon_eek.gif

[quote= kevin31]
    So where is the best place to buy them? I seen them on ebay for about 70 pounds?[/quote]

pitviper wrote:
    I purchased both of my racks and accessories from here (assuming that you are in the US). Great place: Dantrak Net *- New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.

Uhm, I think the pounds reference means UK. icon_rolleyes.gif

HA! I missed that - Well, for anyone else who may be following along then :)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dantrak-UK has the 16U and 20U -- but they are back ordered. Hopefully user dantrak-uk kept a couple on the side for the eBay-UK sales.

I've got some QuikLok 10U racks. Those support up to 150 pounds.

Some of the "lightweight" 12U racks that are sold for Cisco Equipment only support 75 pounds.

I've also got some of the even lighter weight (and cheaper) 8U "music racks" -- but I'll only put the old (and cheap) 2500 routers in those.

I've also got a couple of 8U Studio Gear Cases -- but I actually have my rack mount synthesizers in those

For my rack mount servers the cost of shelves or rails is crazy. I was going to see what one of my friends would charge me to fabricate some rails -- if it's under $20 a pair I'll give up my Ikea Broder shelves and go with a 4 post rack (or a kit to tie two 2 post racks together).

I've also got Gorilla Racks for the PCs in the utilty room and basement.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Those guys are great. I stopped by their office a few weeks ago to grab a 16U and they even threw in extra 2600 brackets.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    i just got a skeletek 12u. It will do for what I want because i probably wont go past ccna, but I would say get the 16u.

it has great balance, wont tip over (important if you have kids). made of quality metal, its not flimsy at all. comes with screws and square nuts. its also expandable, so you can add on to it if you want to.
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    I have to give it to Skeletek... they rock. I've had three different ones, that are now all combined into one rack. They're modular and really well priced.

If you're willing to do some searching a lot of companies give away old racks, or throw away old racks, however these are usually really big.... like 48U.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • toptektoptek Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□

I was gonna say depending on the poster you might be the wrong gender.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    toptek wrote: »
    anyone tried this? :)

LackRack - Eth0Wiki

It works great if you have one of the older Lack tables with solid legs, but the ones they sell now have hollow legs. You'll have to use wall anchors, so YMMV.