March to the CCNA

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Greetings all:

Like many of before me, I am starting a thread to keep track on my final study habits before I take the CCNA on June 26th. I will keep everyone posted on the final outcome.

Comments

• kronik2009kronik2009 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Greetings knwminus!

I believe you and I are both walking the same path to enlightenment :), however, i have a little issue here, i am searching high and low for a working Router Simulator...dude, what do you currently use to practice your commands and configs?

later
    Kronik2009
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kronik2009 wrote: »
    Greetings knwminus!

I believe you and I are both walking the same path to enlightenment :), however, i have a little issue here, i am searching high and low for a working Router Simulator...dude, what do you currently use to practice your commands and configs?

later
    Kronik2009

I have been using the router sim software that came with Todd Lammelle's sybex book. It has serious limitations but I think it will get the job done.
  • nash0924nash0924 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Greetings all:

Like many of before me, I am starting a thread to keep track on my final study habits before I take the CCNA on June 26th. I will keep everyone posted on the final outcome.

A little bit off topic, but is there a reason why you are going for the 290 instead of the 270 first? :)
    WIP: MSc.
    nash0924 wrote: »
    A little bit off topic, but is there a reason why you are going for the 290 instead of the 270 first? :)

Well for starters I already have a server 2003 "lab" set up and I already have the books I need for the 290 ( I will be using the Sybex books, any objections?). But mostly because of the fact that I am (hopefully) about to start a job working with a small outsourced IT/ISP/Webhosting/Managed Server company and I would like to say that I am certified on their flagship server platform. Is there a reason why I should change this?
    Greetings All:

I havent posted in a few days. I am still using the router sim software that came with the sybex book. I have now started to read the cisco ios commands book and the CCNA fast pass. I am commited to doing about 50 subnetting questions a day to improve my subnetting speed.
    I have been doing labs on the simulation software every night. Tonight I am doing labs on the Catalyst switch configurations and OSPF and EIGRP. I also am going to go over subnetting ( I actually have block size flash cards) by doing 15-20 subnetting questions from subnetting.com. I did about 15 eariler today. Also I will read some from the CCNA fast pass book, the Cisco IOS Commands book, and the Cisco IOS cookbook.

For the readers the this post, how hard is the CCNA security, CCNA voice, and CCNA Wireless exams. I plan to go for the MCSA exams next then following up with the MCSE and Security+ by the end of the year. I am trying to consider which Cisco exam to take. Is the CCNA Security (the one I am leaning towards) valuable and a logical step or should I go str8 to the CCNP level exams?

I have learned a lot just doing these studies and I know that getting the CCNA will increase my marketability in the company that I am in and externally.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For the readers the this post, how hard is the CCNA security, CCNA voice, and CCNA Wireless exams.
    The trick to any exam is that the more you study, the easier the exam becomes :D

That said -- CCNA:Security is probably the easiest. You'll cover some new material, but in all it should probably take less effort then studying for the CCNA. Plus the lab requirements are not that outrageously expensive.

I'd say the CCNA:Voice is easy.... but I already have a CCVP and the home Voice Lab. :D I think its a great exam to use to start a Voice Career -- if you can afford to build the lab and actually gain the skills. The cost of the lab could be a barrier to entry for some.... While the UC520 would be GREAT to have for a home lab, you can probably squeak by with something like an 2650XM (or 2651XM) running CME 4.x (with an AIM-CUE). And while the exam seems to focus on a "Branch Office" configuration, you'd still need somewhere to call to in your lab....

I'd say the CCNA:Wireless is another interesting exam.... if you're already working in a Cisco wireless environment. If you don't have access to wireless equipment at work, then you can probably get by with just 1 Wireless LAN Controller and supported Lightweight Access Point in your home lab (about $1300-$1500). If you want the "full wireless home lab experience" -- that will probably be about $3000.

I was pricing wireless hardware this weekend for my home lab. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    [QUOTE=mikej412;318202
    That said -- CCNA:Security is probably the easiest. You'll cover some new material, but in all it should probably take less effort then studying for the CCNA. Plus the lab requirements are not that outrageously expensive.
    [/QUOTE]

This is good to hear because I am thinking of getting that as my next exam. I like networking and for now I would like to focus on networking and security. After I am finish with the MCSA/MCSE/MCSE:S and Security+ I think I will come back and finish the CCNA

[QUOTE=mikej412;318202
    I'd say the CCNA:Voice is easy.... but I already have a CCVP and the home Voice Lab. :D I think its a great exam to use to start a Voice Career -- if you can afford to build the lab and actually gain the skills. The cost of the lab could be a barrier to entry for some.... While the UC520 would be GREAT to have for a home lab, you can probably squeak by with something like an 2650XM (or 2651XM) running CME 4.x (with an AIM-CUE). And while the exam seems to focus on a "Branch Office" configuration, you'd still need somewhere to call to in your lab....
    [/QUOTE]

Honestly I know I need to know voice but I don't find it as interesting. Furthermore I do not know many people who even know what a CCVP is, most of the "Cisco heads" around me are CCNAs or CCNPs. I think this will be something that I will put on the backburner because I want to get some other things done first.

[QUOTE=mikej412;318202
    I'd say the CCNA:Wireless is another interesting exam.... if you're already working in a Cisco wireless environment. If you don't have access to wireless equipment at work, then you can probably get by with just 1 Wireless LAN Controller and supported Lightweight Access Point in your home lab (about $1300-$1500). If you want the "full wireless home lab experience" -- that will probably be about $3000.
    I was pricing wireless hardware this weekend for my home lab. :D[/QUOTE]

1500 is pretty high icon_sad.gif. This exam I just mentioned because I heard some people talking about it. Why would I want this over just the regular CCNA. There are wireless topics in the CCNA, what would be the point?

Also I am trying to figure out if the CCNA elective exams are even worth it? I mean do people even care about CCNA:S or do they only care about CCNP, CCSP, CCVP and etc?
    I mean do people even care about CCNA:S or do they only care about CCNP, CCSP, CCVP and etc?
    Some people luck out where they work and get to start working with the "fun stuff" like Voice and Wireless before they even start studying for any exams. If they are lucky they have co-workers who "show them the ropes" or Vendors who do a good job of training and sharing information to make for a smooth hand off of admin responsibilitys after they do the "heavy lifting" of solution design and initial configurations and testing.

And then there are the unlucky people who get tossed into managing the firewall (or other security devices) when the person doing it suddenly takes a better job elsewhere or the Var/Consultant who put it in goes out of business -- or worse, the company wants to save money and lays off all the "high priced help" and you're now the IT Department.

But for the people who aren't lucky (or unlucky, as the case may be) and don't have the opportunity to learn and gain experience with things like Voice, Wireless, and Security at their current job, the CCNA Specializations give people the chance to gain some of the knowledge and skills to get those opportunities down the road.

I'd say the CCNA Specializations have value and are worth pursuing for the topics you have an interest in or want to learn more about. They should help you "get your foot in the door."

The professional certifications do have even more value -- when you have the experience to go with them.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    But for the people who aren't lucky (or unlucky, as the case may be) and don't have the opportunity to learn and gain experience with things like Voice, Wireless, and Security at their current job, the CCNA Specializations give people the chance to gain some of the knowledge and skills to get those opportunities down the road.

I think I will go for the Security track before I go for anything else. I think net security is and will always be important. Plus i think that it will fit nicely with the MCSE:S that I plan on obtaining by the end to year. Do you think they will compliment each other well?

On an unrelated topic, how exactly did you become a cisco god? :D or in other words how did you get you big break and dive into the world of cisco?
    Well as the title says Im getting closer to the big day. Still doing subnetting questions and I think I am going to start going over the test again from within the book and the flash cards on the cd. I am going to start working to timed test so that I can make sure I will be able to finish in 90 minutes. Also I am calling the exam place on monday to set up my spot. I have the day off work so I am thinking maybe in the afternoon, but who knows?
    Well I have been away for a few days but I have been studying icon_study.gif

I actually find the CCNA material interesting and I think I will be ready on the 26th.

My materials have not changed although now I am doing about 10 labs a day. I have cut back on subnetting because I think I got it down.
    Well I am posting this now because I am going to be busy for the rest of the day. I have had some interesting finds: Most people don't understand networking beyond plugging a cable into the comp and praying that they can get there email, which is a good thing. Just saying that you are going to take the ccna test is an advantage over some people, which is also a good thing. I am working on getting a job with a local gov contractor working in either tier 2 or 3 helpdesk or tier 1 sever support. I really want this job, and I would rather work on the server support team, even if the pay is a little less. I have been actively talking with the HR rep and even though I don't have a sec clearance (damn) I may still be ok if I get my Sec+ within the next 6 months which I plan to do anyway. Also tommorow I have a meeting with the Manager for the Engineering dept of my current job so I will post how that goes.

As far as the CCNA studies go, I have really been focusing on the CCNA fast pass guide and I have been a bit dissapointed with the lack of material, although it has helped jog my NVRAM (lol). I will be finished with all of the provided labs that came with the CCNA kit so starting tommorow I will create my own practice network using all of the commands I need to know in Packet tracer. I am then going to work on doing practice test and test specific flash cards from here on out. I will be sitting for the exam on the 26th so it is coming down to the wire....wish me prepardness
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good luck on your prep....having taken this test recently I def say preparation is the key to passing this exam.

Two things I'd like to pass along that I've seen alot...

1) Know when to use an access-class (for securing vty access) this seems to be on of those little bits of info I never saw until recently

2) make sure you can figure out router to router subnets quickly (ie have two routers connected together using a 255.255.255.252 subnet with randomly chosen ips) this seems to be a favorite on every practice test I've taken/seen

Although I'm sure you know these things already icon_wink.gif
    Good luck on your prep....having taken this test recently I def say preparation is the key to passing this exam.

Two things I'd like to pass along that I've seen alot...

1) Know when to use an access-class (for securing vty access) this seems to be on of those little bits of info I never saw until recently

2) make sure you can figure out router to router subnets quickly (ie have two routers connected together using a 255.255.255.252 subnet with randomly chosen ips) this seems to be a favorite on every practice test I've taken/seen

Although I'm sure you know these things already icon_wink.gif

I will def take this into consideration, esp the access-class config. I will review it. Thanks.
    Checking in again.

Tonight was a good night. Got to exactly where I wanted to be in my studies, I was able to finish all of my labs including the 16 labs on EIGRP and VLSM design. I was also able to get to chapter 4 of the fast pass book. From here on out it is only going to be doing flash cards, practice test, working in PT, and reading Fast pass. I think that this is the final turn in my CCNA studies and I am very pleased with the results so far.
    Well I have offically purchased the voucher and scheduled the exam. The time will be 1pm and June 26th is the date. Between then and now I plan to work in PT and practice commands as well as subnetting and general studying.
    Well doing the practice test were burning me out, Im a learn by doing type of guy. So while at work I drew a network plan out to make in packet tracer, which btw is so much easier now that I have an understanding of cisco network layouts (even if it only on a ccna-esq level). I decided to use all of the commands I have used during the practice lab and make a small 8 router network, complete with a frame-cloud, ipv6, and nat. This should be interesting. I cannot believe that I am up at 2 in the morning configuring Frame-relay in PT. What kind of a person does that make me? lol
  • jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    I cannot believe that I am up at 2 in the morning configuring Frame-relay in PT. What kind of a person does that make me? lol

Perfectly normal, don't worry. icon_smile.gif I've found real equipment more fun though, I hardly use PT anymore.
    Well my test is on friday. I feel very nervous but that is because I havent taken an exam since march. My weak areas seem to be the config reg settings and im not as strong in access-list as I would like. Troubleshooting seems to be fine for me and I can decently subnet, although I would like to be able to subnet faster. Until the test I will be reviewing practice exams, subnetting questions, and flash cards during the day. At night I am going to read the cisco ios commands, study outputs and practice making access list in PT.

My goal is to get a 900 on the exam. Wish me prepardness all.....
    my test is on friday.
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
  • Cal_0808Cal_0808 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey man my test is tomorrow too at 12:45. Im particularly nervous as this is my first cert, however feeling quietly confident. Anyway good luck, sure you'll get the 900.

Hopefully we can both post not-so-embarrassing results tomorrow afternoon! :)
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck gentlemen.
    Cal_0808 wrote: »
    Hey man my test is tomorrow too at 12:45. Im particularly nervous as this is my first cert, however feeling quietly confident. Anyway good luck, sure you'll get the 900.

Hopefully we can both post not-so-embarrassing results tomorrow afternoon! :)

Great! I hope to give and hear good news :D
    Well today is the test day. I will be sitting at 2:30 est and hope to get at least a 900 or so. I have been looking over some things today but I just cannot study anymore. It hurts,
    Survey says:

I FAILED!!!!

I missed questions in access-list and thats what killed me. I plan to retake the test July 10th and I am going to go ahead and by the transcender package....
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sorry to hear about the fail. At least you know your weak areas now and how you can maximize your study.

And wholly freaking signature you have there! Maybe a little less time making that and more time studying and you would have passed icon_lol.gif

I kid...
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • bryantstewartbryantstewart Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry man... Now that you know what your weaknesses are get your arse to studying those topics. Good luck on the next test date!
    COMEBACK2009 promotion. This was only a practice test.