Upgrading the IOS on my routers...can I?

BadBoy HouseBadBoy House Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok I fancy having a crack at upgrading the IOS versions on my routers.

I've pasted the show vers below.

First of all can I upgrade? based on the memory etc.

Secondly, are there any tutorials on upgrading

and thirdly where do I get the IOS upgrade files from?

oh, and is there a chart anywhere that lists what you IOS versions can run on what router, and what memory is required etc??

cheers!

1721 router:

IOS (tm) C1700 Software (C1700-BNR2SY7-M), Version 12.2(13)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

cisco 1721 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x100) with 43217K/5935K bytes of memory.

16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

2610 router:

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.0(3)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

cisco 2610 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x203) with 24576K/8192K bytes of memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Comments

• kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    First of all can I upgrade? based on the memory etc.

I dont know I am too lazy to look in cisco to see what ios fits your memory
    Secondly, are there any tutorials on upgrading

yes check cisco docs
    and thirdly where do I get the IOS upgrade files from?

you need a CCO account
    oh, and is there a chart anywhere that lists what you IOS versions can run on what router, and what memory is required etc??

yes check cisco docs

Honestly when I want to upgrade I just log in to my CCO account and check

Make sure you back up you existing IOS to a T.F.T.P server

copy flash:whatever.bin tftp

it will then ask you about the T.F.T.P server IP address and file name and all that good stuff. Its pretty simple then to copy a new IOS its just copy t.f.t.p flash: without the periods. It will then ask you about T.F.T.P info and ask to erase your existing flash. Pretty self-explanatory

Make sure you use the first ethernet port and on the same subnet as the T.F.T.P server
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • BadBoy HouseBadBoy House Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cheers.

there must be another way of getting the IOS upgrade files for personal use icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

does anyone have a link to anything on the Cisco site that will let me check what IOS versions require what memory and what will work on what router?
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    buy a router on ebay that has the IOS you want on the same router you have. Also if you have the same 2 routers but different IOS then can transfer the IOS to t.f.tp server and then download them to the other router for practice.

Alot of people use the emulator that run the real IOS so they have to get it somehow
    does anyone have a link to anything on the Cisco site that will let me check what IOS versions require what memory and what will work on what router?

Cisco feature navigator

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
    cheers kryolla. i'll check out the navigator.
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    cheers kryolla. i'll check out the navigator.
    The Feature Navigator will be your best friend. Especially when buying new, well new to you, equipment. That way you can tell if the seller is really posting a true output or just feeding you a line to make a sale!
    whereabouts on the navigator does it tell you the exact memory requirements for each IOS version???
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    whereabouts on the navigator does it tell you the exact memory requirements for each IOS version???
    If you execute a search that returns a large number of results, there is a DRAM and FLASH column as part of the results.

If you search for a specific IOS version and feature set, when it lists the features the DRAM/FLASH is listed at the top of the search result section, right under the image name.

You may have to give it some time to finish its search and display the results -- and then you may have to scroll down or increase your window size to see them.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    ah I see. cheers Mike.

Just one more question - with regards to all the different versions and features is there a specific version for each IOS release which is considered the best one to get - if I want all the best features?

For instance, there are loads of different versions of IOS 12.4, 12.3 etc. Is there a "main version" for each that I should be looking to get?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Just one more question - with regards to all the different versions and features is there a specific version for each IOS release which is considered the best one to get - if I want all the best features?

For instance, there are loads of different versions of IOS 12.4, 12.3 etc. Is there a "main version" for each that I should be looking to get?
    Read the IOS packaging datasheet. Download IOS files that you're not licensed for at your own risk.