Options

Lab PC's

jonny72jonny72 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
What do people use for PC's in their labs, for the LAN PC's and the console?

I'm guessing its easier if you have a PC to use for console sessions, along with some to use on the LAN to enable quick and easy configuration / pinging etc.

I was planning to get 5 old cheap desktops but then I started looking at a rack mounted server. I'm assuming that if I get a server I could run something like VMWare on it, add some extra network cards and then have in effect four or five PC's running on it - which would be more than enough. Plus it would give me some experience with VMWare.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    My ESX lab is connected to my Cisco lab. The virtualization option will be better than having a big stack of old desktop PCs.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have one beefy machine that I do most of my virtualization work on. In addition to that, I have two HP DL360 G5s that I use for my ESX-specific work, and then I have a 2511 that connects me to all my Cisco gear. I'm starting to use dynamips/dynagen more and more though. I'm thinking about ditching my routers and just keeping my switches.
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm thinking about ditching my routers and just keeping my switches.

+1

I did use old PC's with my lab until I found Vmware workstation and GNS3, now I have one fast machine with 6GB of RAM that I run my labs on. Use a lot less electricity, less heat and no noise!

People think, and I was one them that old kit is better - it's soo not. For those new to Cisco I would certainly recommend a real lab but then as soon as you get used to it sell it and use GNS3 with virtual pc's.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    jonny72jonny72 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just had a look at the VMWare site, wasn't aware that ESX was free. Is it still fully featured and capable of everything I'd need for a Cisco lab? Is it good for learning VMWare as well?

Finally, can anyone recommend a decent 2nd hand rack server to go for? I was looking at the Dell PowerEdge 2650 at about £200-£250, anything else in a similar price bracket?
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    jonny72 wrote: »
    Finally, can anyone recommend a decent 2nd hand rack server to go for? I was looking at the Dell PowerEdge 2650 at about £200-£250, anything else in a similar price bracket?

Don't need a server for the lab just a decent PC, at least dual core and loads of RAM
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're using ESX/ESXi, you do need to be careful about which hardware/servers you use:
    Ultimate VMWare ESX Whitebox

VMware Compatibility Guide - Search the VMware Compatibility Guide