Just won a 2950 switch on ebay - what labs do i do with it first????

BadBoy HouseBadBoy House Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
In preparation for it arriving later this week I though I'd see what labs you'd recommend I do first with my 2950?

I've flicked through the CCENT book but this seems to be more password setup which I can already do.

Are there any cool labs you could recommend that I'd still learn something suitable for ICND1/ICND2 ?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you only have one switch not much you can do with it really. Once you get a couple more switches you can start to work on some STP labs. You can set up router on a stick if you have a router also.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For ICND1, you can
    Implement a small switched network

• Select the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect switches to other network devices and hosts
    • Perform, save and verify initial switch configuration tasks including remote access management
    • Verify network status and switch operation using basic utilities (including: ping, traceroute,telnet,SSH,arp, ipconfig), SHOW & DEBUG commands
    • Implement and verify basic security for a switch (port security, deactivate ports)
    • Identify, prescribe, and resolve common switched network media issues, configuration issues, autonegotiation, and switch hardware failures
    For ICND2 you can
    Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications

• Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VLANs
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot trunking on Cisco switches
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot interVLAN routing
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VTP
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot RSTP operation
    • Interpret the output of various show and debug commands to verify the operational status of a Cisco switched network
    • Implement basic switch security (including: port security, unassigned ports, trunk access, etc.)
    But you might need more than one switch for the really fun stuff.

When in doubt, check out the exam blueprints
    https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-4986
    https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-4977
    or
    https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/community/certifications/ccna/ccna_exam?view=overview
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • HighspadeHighspade Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you have a router?

Without a router you could lab initial switch configuration:

Configure the Enable password
    Configure the Enable secret (what is the difference)
    User account creation
    vty and console line setup
    Access lists to control telnet access to the switch
    Vlan creation and port assignment
    SwitchPort security
    Create Login and MoTd banners

I'm sure there is more, but that should get you thinking.
  • BadBoy HouseBadBoy House Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah i've got 3 routers. i'm sure there'll be plenty of labs i can do with one router to begin with. i'll get another when i realise i can't do a specific lab with the one i've got.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Even though these two tasks are "routed network" tasks in the ICND1 exam blueprint
    • Manage IOS configuration files (including: save, edit, upgrade, restore)
    • Manage Cisco IOS
    you should also do them on a switch.

That should include backing up the switch IOS image and then erasing the image from the switch flash and restoring using XMODEM. Doing it once in a lab/learning environment is usually enough to insure that you will never accidentally erase a switch IOS image file for the rest of your Cisco career. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    mikej412 wrote: »
    That should include backing up the switch IOS image and then erasing the image from the switch flash and restoring using XMODEM. Doing it once in a lab/learning environment is usually enough to insure that you will never accidentally erase a switch IOS image file for the rest of your Cisco career. :D
    The first time is also usually when you've forgotten to change the baud rate from 9600 :D
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Now is a perfect time to practice your VLAN skills. Hook your cable/dsl router up to a port that's in the same VLAN as your own computer, place your roommates/family on a seperate VLAN, then let the blackmail begin. They might not spring for a 1800 or 2800-series, but they might just be susceptible enough to lay down $150 for a 2600XM-series router. Of course, I have never personally committed acts of evil to this scale. No, really. . . icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • BadBoy HouseBadBoy House Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LOL. Great idea!