How do you get a job working for the state or your town?

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
and what jobs are there? anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    ok... looks like i need to figure out how to get into a govt position. i posted about this before and got myself more confused.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check your State, County, Township, and local City web sites. Most of those will list the open jobs on the web site before the local politicians give the jobs to a family member, friend, campaign worker, or campaign contributor. If the job involves actual work and requires actual skills then it would probably be filled by a member the public.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Check your State, County, Township, and local City web sites. Most of those will list the open jobs on the web site before the local politicians give the jobs to a family member, friend, campaign worker, or campaign contributor. If the job involves actual work and requires actual skills then it would probably be filled by a member the public.

hehehe..no nepotism there then Mike.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    each city/county/state should have their own personnel website, if it isnt a part of their own website.

I tried for about 18 months before i landed something.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    With the the way the budget is in my area I wouldn't want to work for the state or even the county right now.
    brad- wrote: »
    each city/county/state should have their own personnel website, if it isnt a part of their own website.

I tried for about 18 months before i landed something.
    what type of jobs are there? i mean, as an example, my last job was as net admin at a doorknob wholesaler.... there HAS to be something more interesting out there than that!!

i know these questions arent easy to answer... heres another....what is more desirable, Cisco expertise or the "jack of all trades" type 2008 "mcse", vmware, exchange, sonicwall etc guy....
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Depends on your def of desirable: higher pay or more jobs available?
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Depends on your def of desirable: higher pay or more jobs available?
    hmmm, well obviously the upper level Cisco folks command the big $$. i guess what im trying to figure out is if you were equally qualified as a mid level Cisco or MS admin guy.... what would be more desirable to these state or govt jobs? whatever they are....
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    tdean wrote: »
    hmmm, well obviously the upper level Cisco folks command the big $$. i guess what im trying to figure out is if you were equally qualified as a mid level Cisco or MS admin guy.... what would be more desirable to these state or govt jobs? whatever they are....

You can't really compare the two. If it is a Cisco position the Cisco guy would be more valuable and the same for an MS position. Knowledge in both areas and master of none could be more valuable depending on the job role.

It all boils down to what the position entails.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.