Options

TICSA (TruSecure ICSA Practitioner Certification)

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
Anyone have any experience with the TICSA cert? It's endorsed by (ISC)2 as complementary to the CISSP.

https://ticsa.trusecure.com/overview.shtml

A new TICSA study group started up on Yahoo! (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TICSAStudy) and it's got me curious.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Interesting. I like the first sentence of the brochure:
    "On the enterprise security fast track, a network or systems practitioner is often responsible for IT security in job function, but not necessarily in title." (see last reply SSCP post).

They frequently mention "practitioner" (like in SSCP) but also mention it compliments CISSP. That and the objectives (14 disciplines) makes it look like a mix between SSCP and CISSP. Perhaps a bit more practical? Still seems like more of the same.

This is good though:
    Requirements
    - Have at least two years experience in network security
    administration, or can demonstrate attendance of at
    least 48 hours of approved computer security
    training or coursework (within a 24-month period)
    which basically means anyone with Security+ is elligable.
    TICSA - TruSecure ICSA Certified Security Associate
    Requires: 1 Exam (70 questions, 90 minutes)
    Approximate Cost = $295, International cost is $395...

TICSE - TruSecure ICSA Certified Security Engineer
    TICSA Cert + one additional exam
    icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    longshadowlongshadow Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the TICSA exam last week and I passed it with a 92%. Experience working in the security field goes a long ways but a study guide will help you fill in the gaps. I used the QUE Certification book by Bike Chapple, DCebra Littlejohn Shinder, and Shawn Porter. Before you go out and buy a new copy, check with Amazon or even Ebay. It's the same blue and orange book.. just half the price.
    The book is fairly straight forward. It's got a few obvious errors and the authors neglected several things but it should arm the reader with enough knowledge to get them through the exam. The book also comes with a PrepLogic CD (if you want more than the sample tests, you will need to pay extra..).
    All in all, I would rate this as an intermediary exam that will help you with some of the basic concepts of the CISSP. At some point TruSecure will be offering a TICSP (Professional) certification so don't forget what you learn here or you'll have to start all over again. I hope they drop the cost of this exam when they start offering the TICSP. I almost didn't take this exam because of it's $295 sticker price Anyway..good luck with the exam!
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    longshadow wrote:
    I took the TICSA exam last week and I passed it with a 92%. Experience working in the security field goes a long ways but a study guide will help you fill in the gaps. I used the QUE Certification book by Bike Chapple, DCebra Littlejohn Shinder, and Shawn Porter. Before you go out and buy a new copy, check with Amazon or even Ebay. It's the same blue and orange book.. just half the price.
    The book is fairly straight forward. It's got a few obvious errors and the authors neglected several things but it should arm the reader with enough knowledge to get them through the exam. The book also comes with a PrepLogic CD (if you want more than the sample tests, you will need to pay extra..).
    All in all, I would rate this as an intermediary exam that will help you with some of the basic concepts of the CISSP. At some point TruSecure will be offering a TICSP (Professional) certification so don't forget what you learn here or you'll have to start all over again. I hope they drop the cost of this exam when they start offering the TICSP. I almost didn't take this exam because of it's $295 sticker price Anyway..good luck with the exam!

Thanks for the input...this should really help others out...Congrats on your pass.

As far as a price tag on the exam....It seems to be par for the course when it comes to Security exams...and I don't see the price coming down while security is such a hot topic.

Thanks again..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA