Free Linux+ Beta Voucher

PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
Like the Server+ beta exam, CompTIA is doing the same thing with Linux+ and the new version:

CompTIA Linux+ Beta

I didn't see this posted here, so I thought I'd throw it out. I was just looking for more information on a cert that I'd like to get, and the link was there. :)

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I found that in another thread here, e-mailed and was told all seats were spoken for unfortunately but that wasn't through a form like this, it was just a landing page with an e-mail address to ask for a seat. I'll give this one a shot too.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How long is the voucher good for? Is it only through the end of next month?
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    I was offered a Linux+ voucher. It is good until 31-Jul.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not much time to study for it icon_sad.gif
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm a quick study kind of guy! :) I'd take one for one month of study! :) I wonder if there are any seats left?
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    PC509 wrote: »
    I'm a quick study kind of guy! :) I'd take one for one month of study! :) I wonder if there are any seats left?
    Only one way to find out...go for it!

I'm tempted to keep on my pattern of taking betas, but I'm clueless on Linux. I'll have to pass on this one.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    One part of me really wants to get a voucher and go for it, but there's another (lazier) part of me that knows I'm already Linux+ certified and that, since CompTIA certs are good for a lifetime, I don't "need" to sit this one again. I think I'll be good and not snatch up a seat that could go to someone else that doesn't already have this cert under their belt. Thanks for the link, though, I've already sent it out to several friends and colleagues that need to get off their butts and start studying.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I just signed up for the voucher, so we'll see. I was planning on going straight for the RHCE, but if this exam's free, I'm game.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I signed up as well. No word yet...
  • t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    Darn the website is down for maintenance. I would not mind going for linux+.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • joecontrerasjoecontreras Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    Only one way to find out...go for it!

I'm tempted to keep on my pattern of taking betas, but I'm clueless on Linux. I'll have to pass on this one.

I applied for the Beta several weeks ago and was finally emailed the voucher last week. I sit the exam on the 27th of this month. I have used Linux off and on in my workplace for a few years but not extensively so I decided the exam would force me to really learn it and make me start using it more.

I sit the Server+ Beta tomorrow afternoon and will get straight on the Objectives and training resources for Linux starting tomorrow night. I haven't taken any certification exams in about 4 years and I am excited to get back in the swing of things.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Has any one heard if vouchers are still being issued? I just applied a few days ago. I had not seen this thread...

If any one gets a voucher they are not going to use, I have no shame in asking for it!
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I've been waiting since early last week too.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been waiting since early last week too.

I've been waiting since the day this thread opened up on June 30th.
    I hope there they still have more vouchers to handout.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    qwertyiop wrote: »

Great! They've probably given out 399 vouchers and now it's you and me.
    If they flip a coin, I pick TAILS. hahaha
    qwertyiop wrote: »

I received the email from CompTia asking if I was still interested in taking the Beta on June 25th:

"You applied for a voucher for a free ComptIA Linux+ beta exam. I need for 400 people to take the beta exam and I have not reached that number yet."

So maybe there are still some left so you can get in.
    Has anyone taken the beta yet? I am going to be taking it on 29-Jul. I have been refreshing myself, slowly, on objectives for 2009 and since I have the books the previous version.
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
    Seems like since the database error and the constant invitation to more beta testers, the Linux+ score cut off conference has been pushed back nearly to the end of October.

* CompTIA Server+ Cut Score Workshop, Sept. 28-Oct.2
    * CompTIA Linux+ Cut Score Workshop, Oct. 19-23
    * CompTIA CDIA+ Job Task Analysis, Nov. 2-4
    matradley wrote: »
    Seems like since the database error and the constant invitation to more beta testers, the Linux+ score cut off conference has been pushed back nearly to the end of October.

* CompTIA Server+ Cut Score Workshop, Sept. 28-Oct.2
    * CompTIA Linux+ Cut Score Workshop, Oct. 19-23
    * CompTIA CDIA+ Job Task Analysis, Nov. 2-4

CompTia's site still has the form up to register for the Beta Voucher. I wonder why they are having such a hard time getting to the 400? I thought the Beta was a good exam and anyone with even basic knowledge of Linux would have an easy time with it in my opinion. Maybe the Cut Score Workshop won't get pushed back again.

They might even have trouble getting enough people to the Workshop. I would love to go if I was anywhere near Chicago.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I just took it. If I passed, I did by one or two questions. If I failed, it was the one or two questions. It's going to be a close one for me. Real close. It's one of the ones where I have no idea. I know I passed the Server+, as it was all familiar. This one had some questions that I haven't dealt with much.

Oh well, hope I helped them out somewhat.

On a side note: Any one in the PDX area, the Clark College testing center in Vancouver is awesome. Only 3 stations, but the speed and displays are wonderful. And the people are great, too.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    It appears that once again, CompTIA has removed the offer for free Linux+ beta exam vouchers from their web site.

Maybe this is it!--well, maybe we'll find out sometime in November, anyway--December?
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I imagine it is. They worded the email I received pretty strongly that if they sent me a voucher I needed to agree that I would actually take the exam and within the time frame.
    janmike wrote: »
    It appears that once again, CompTIA has removed the offer for free Linux+ beta exam vouchers from their web site.

Maybe this is it!--well, maybe we'll find out sometime in November, anyway--December?

I hope so! It is a bit optimistic, but I hope we can see our results by the end of the final quarter.
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took it yesterday and the beta is obviously in the final stages. Comments were disabled and the questions were free of the typos and syntax errors that show up in the beginning of a beta. They are just getting the last few takers to have a large enough pool to figure out the scoring.
    Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Courses Completed at WGU:
    EWB2, BBC1, LAE1, WFV1, SSC1, CLC1, WDV1, MGC1, ORC1, INC1, IWC1
    Courses Required BS - IT: NETW:
    LAT1, LUT1, INT1, SST1, LET1, IWT1, BOV1, TWA1, CPW2
    Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1
    Jagged wrote: »
    I took it yesterday and the beta is obviously in the final stages. Comments were disabled and the questions were free of the typos and syntax errors that show up in the beginning of a beta. They are just getting the last few takers to have a large enough pool to figure out the scoring.

The comments section was disabled for me as well back in July.
    I took the Linux+ beta today. 130 questions to be completed within 120 minutes. I didn't have a chance to study before the exam, but that's probably just as well, since the topics were all very basic. If anyone has a voucher, and is torn on whether to take the exam, go for it. Basic Linux skills will carry you through on the majority of the questions.

Comments were disabled for me as well.
    UnixGeek wrote: »
    I took the Linux+ beta today. 130 questions to be completed within 120 minutes. I didn't have a chance to study before the exam, but that's probably just as well, since the topics were all very basic. If anyone has a voucher, and is torn on whether to take the exam, go for it. Basic Linux skills will carry you through on the majority of the questions.

Comments were disabled for me as well.

I assume by your nickname, you probably did very well on this exam. ;)
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Since I like to do everything last second, I am taking this on Saturday morning. See you at the results post in a few months. ;)
    matradley wrote: »
    I assume by your nickname, you probably did very well on this exam. ;)

I hope so, otherwise I'm going to be eating crow in a few months. :) It occurred to me after I clicked submit that I might have had a different view on the exam's difficulty level had it been Windows centric. Still, I was somehow expecting the questions to be harder than they were.
    I should note that the Linux+ cut score is this week. How long do you think until we know results?