Migrating from Novell Group Wise to Exchange

Hi everyone,

We are trying to migrate some Novell Group Wise mail, contacts, and calendars into Exchange.

Is there a product or easy way to do this?

Thanks,

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nevolved wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

We are trying to migrate some Novell Group Wise mail, contacts, and calendars into Exchange.

Is there a product or easy way to do this?

Thanks,

Suggest you get some assistance with this. Register on the Novell forum and ask the question. Plenty of experienced CNEs on there with groupwise experience. Also check out TIDs on the Novell site (Technical Information Documents). There will be a documented migration path on the Microsoft site but you should get some Groupwise expertise involved (assuming you haven't got that).
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It is very complicated if you have a sizable Groupwise implementation. Most notably there isn't a native connector in Exchange 2007 to support migrating from Groupwise... so you would need to have Exchange 2003 or something third-party like Quest.

Here is a good article from msexchange.org... very lengthy 9-part series on how to do what you're asking

GroupWise to Exchange 2007 - Interoperability and Migration (Part 1)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    blargoe wrote: »
    It is very complicated if you have a sizable Groupwise implementation. Most notably there isn't a native connector in Exchange 2007 to support migrating from Groupwise... so you would need to have Exchange 2003 or something third-party like Quest.

Here is a good article from msexchange.org... very lengthy 9-part series on how to do what you're asking

GroupWise to Exchange 2007 - Interoperability and Migration (Part 1)

Echo that. Be very, very careful with any mail migration as the consequences of getting something wrong could well be dire. I really advise you to see a CNE with Groupwise experience. Check out Kasor on here or Marie Perry for advice. If you contact Marie tell her I sent you.

Marie Perry CNI/Consultant/Trainer
  • tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    Seriously go to quest if you can afford it, especially for 2007. I was involved in a migration to 2003 and it wasn't much fun. Even after that we have problems with some calendar and contact items not transfering. If i remember correctly the migration connector for 2003 doesn't assist with calendar or contact items.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tenrou wrote: »
    Seriously go to quest if you can afford it, especially for 2007. I was involved in a migration to 2003 and it wasn't much fun. Even after that we have problems with some calendar and contact items not transfering. If i remember correctly the migration connector for 2003 doesn't assist with calendar or contact items.

It also only allows for plain text SMTP between the connector unless you use Quest which doesn't restrict you to plain text.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks