MS-Press Book + Extra Material on CD

ChronusMaximusChronusMaximus Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just got my MS Press book to study for the 70-290. I just checked out the CD and found it has a free, complete copy of Windows Scripting! I was considering buying this book down the road to learn some Windows scripting which makes the find even better. So if anyone still has their MS Press study material for 290 look for extra goodies!

Just saying, Free Windows Scripting E-Book = Awesome.

On a sad note, the included "Test Review Suite" keeps throwing up all over itself and won't run. Most of the questions are just the ones in the book but its normally a nice tool to have. Oh well, time for page post-its.
WIP: CCNA

Comments

• AlzerAlzer Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just got my MS Press book to study for the 70-290. I just checked out the CD and found it has a free, complete copy of Windows Scripting! I was considering buying this book down the road to learn some Windows scripting which makes the find even better. So if anyone still has their MS Press study material for 290 look for extra goodies!

On a sad note, the included "Test Review Suite" keeps throwing up all over itself and won't run. Most of the questions are just the ones in the book but its normally a nice tool to have. Oh well, time for page post-its.

I had the same issue with a CD based test enigine, turned out to be the verison of explorer as thats what it used. I was runing IE7 on Vista. Ended up creating a dual boot, XP, and running IE6 - works perfectly now icon_cool.gif
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    That's the best description that I've heard for the issues with the included test engine...and Alzer, I've had some success with using my practice virtual machines to open up older software. I've never used VMWare, but VirtualPC allows you to use the physical optical drive, so you can either use an existing virtual machine or create one without having to go the dual boot route. Pretty easy & painless.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • dancreaneydancreaney Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got this book the other day too, also pleased to have the scripting e-book, thou.. the sample scripts for the excercises don't seem to be includeded on the cd, or I'm not looking hard enough.
  • mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmmm.. If haven't even looked. Maybe I'll check that out at lunch time, thanks for heads up!!!
    XBox Live: xGetDownNoobx
    Working towards 70-291 and CCNA
    Future Goals (In this order):CCNA, MCSA, CCNP, MCITP:EA, CEH

"Consider yourselves lucky I'm not after your gully holes..."
  • rterrasirterrasi Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dancreaney wrote: »
    I got this book the other day too, also pleased to have the scripting e-book, thou.. the sample scripts for the excercises don't seem to be includeded on the cd, or I'm not looking hard enough.

I also am pleased to have the e-scripting book; however I also do not see the sample scripts. I think they may be referencing to the Cd that would have come with the actual hard cover book.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

Don't take this the wrong way, but I was looking at you signature and I think I just found a rival icon_thumright.gif

So lets get to iticon_study.gif

You down?
  • ChronusMaximusChronusMaximus Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knwminus,

Absolutely. A little competition will help motivate me! I have already slacked off in the last week! Need to get cracking to meet these deadlines!

I just had an interview today as an entry level tech. Hoping it went well. Right now I work for my school (not in IT) so I am hoping this job comes through so I can finally get my foot in the door!

**An update on the Review program. Apparently it can not be installed along side the Review Suite that came with my MCTS: Vista book. I uninstalled Vista Review Suite and reinstalled the 70-290 and it worked fine. Weird, but whatever works.
    WIP: CCNA