ok...RHCT and RCHE down, whats next?

sudosudo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
First off let me say, if this is in the wrong spot please let me know so I can get this closed/moved. I just took the RHCE yesterday and passed, I got my results later that day via email. I don't really hold any more certs aside from like "certificates of participation" from learn dell for some hardware, I got the first tier Commvault cert, and a completely worthless participation thing I got from MCSE 2000 classes..I never got the actual cert. But now that I'm in the swing of studying and growing again...and I got my linux prerequisites out of the way, I'd like to ask you for suggestions on what to do next? Microsoft (I do have an aversion to microsoft), storage, maybe networking or try to run out the rest of the RedHat track? I'd really like some input. Thanks!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Um, how about a little celebration? drunken_smilie.gif

Seriously though, congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment icon_thumright.gif

It seems like both storage and virtualization would compliment that nicely.
  • sudosudo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well thats what I'm doing today. And I've peeked at your RHCE study group thread, maybe I can find some way to contribute. Its funny that you mention virtualization, because that is exactly how I tackled my studies. After looking at the cost of instructor led classes, I decided to just fork up for a RHEL license and run VMs in fusion to get my RHCT. I popped that off in about a month mostly going through LinuxCBT for RHEL5 and whatever materials I could find on the net. I finished that in Febuary. Valentines day to be exact. After about two week of trying to decide what to do next I just set sights on the RHCE. So...I built an ESXi box on a tyan board and completely went to town. Building out infrastructure services on that box and basically trying to just mimic things I've seen in large infrastructure from work has helped tremendously. When I took the exam I'd say I was pretty much ready for overkill. But in my haste to just get machines running, I've really neglected learning more about VMware and I should probably seize the opportunity on that. I'd like to say building an ESXi box would be good for you as well. Unlike instructor led training, you at least have a box to show for the money spent when you're done, and its also a good sandbox to spin up whatever and learn about it. Much like the network guys grab some hardware for a home lab, this would be like the linux geeks equivalent (or MS).
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congratulations sudo :)

wow ... very good job!!!
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I wonder if they're still using XEN exclusively in the red hat classes. I hope they've moved on to KVM by now. Regardless, you won't see vmware in there at all. =p

Here's the outline for the deployment, virtualization, and systems management course.

https://www.redhat.com/courses/rh401_red_hat_enterprise_deployment_virtualization_and_systems_management/details/
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    sudo wrote: »
    First off let me say, if this is in the wrong spot please let me know so I can get this closed/moved. I just took the RHCE yesterday and passed, I got my results later that day via email. I don't really hold any more certs aside from like "certificates of participation" from learn dell for some hardware, I got the first tier Commvault cert, and a completely worthless participation thing I got from MCSE 2000 classes..I never got the actual cert. But now that I'm in the swing of studying and growing again...and I got my linux prerequisites out of the way, I'd like to ask you for suggestions on what to do next? Microsoft (I do have an aversion to microsoft), storage, maybe networking or try to run out the rest of the RedHat track? I'd really like some input. Thanks!

Did you use your RHCT as a stepping stone into the Linux world and then got your RHCE later on?
  • sudosudo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had some real world experience with linux before shooting for the RHCT. I knew with my experience it would be easily obtained and I did it in about a month. I wasn't exactly starting from scratch. I do think it helped my resolve in reaching for the RHCE

*edit*
    Now darkerosxx has me thinking about repurposing my ESXi box to take on the rh401