A+ questions

pls4550pls4550 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello to everyone. I am a Licensed Land Surveyor in my state. I have decided to move into the computer field due to the lack of work. I have been dealing with computers for years. I really don't know the detailed stuff that seems to be required for the A+ exams but I think I have a good head start. My questions about this exam is that I really don't know where to start, what is truly needed as far as knowledge, and the best material to use. I know that any field has things in it that while interesting truly aren't needed to do work. I went to QuickCert and felt like I was getting a good deal. After doing some research I have found that many people have issues with this company. I believe in knowing your stuff but I need to do it in a productive way. I want to learn the stuff but I don't want to waste time on very detailed material if it isn't needed for the exam. I am so overwhelmed by what to read, what to study, and who to trust. I started out feeling really good about doing the switch to the IT field and now after I have done all this research I am wondering how to tackle such a huge field. I am not looking for cheats into passing the exam. I want a practicle approach to doing this. I really want to make the most of my time.

Thanks to all!

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pls, I was a career changer as well and studying for A+ was a major component to my learning plan. What I would suggest is that you get a good video course and a good print resource like Sybex or something from Mike Meyers. Go through these and volunteer at an organization in your area that is similar to this: Donate or recycle your old computer in Cincinnati, Ohio

Once you have about three months of study and hands on, then I would suggest you begin preping for the exam. Once you have completed A+ move on to Net+ and then perhaps onto a Microsoft cert like MCITP: Enterprise Support. Withing 6 months you should have enough experience and certifications to get you on at a help desk or working as a computer tech some place.
  • blackeggblackegg Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took two college courses, 1 basic and then 1 advanced. Every Thursday for 3-4 hours for about 10 months. The cost was low and the learning was very helpful. It was actually all done through Cisco. They had us tearing apart computers for one reason or another every class. The instructor would make us leave the room and mess with out computers and then we'd have to figure out what he did! Power points, mini-exams and all in an understandable order. Very helpful...this would be an excellent way to go if you have the opportunity and the means.
    Good luck on your venture!
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary...those that do and those that don't!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you know what area you are interested in? Hardware? software? Networking?
    I would start with the A+ IT Technician, which is a good foundation. Mike Myers has a great book for this cert. You could then hit the Network+. After doing these certs, you should have a good idea of what area you might like.
  • pls4550pls4550 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have ordered the A+ book by Sybex to go along with the stuff from QuickCert. I have also used the internet more as suggested and have found some good tutorials.

To RobertKaucher: I don't believe I have anything along those lines near where I live. The city that I live near is not that populated and for any big chain stores it is about 1 hour in any direction. Thank you for your help.

To blackegg: I did send an email to a community college that is 45 minutes from my house. I went there after high school and they have a really nice setup for IT people. I have emailed two different instructors and I have not heard back from either. I am assuming that they are gone for this semester? I am very interested in doing classes.

To Psoasman: I am very interested in Networking, Securtiy, and programming. In the programming area I am not all together sure which way to go. I've been looking at Java, C/C++, Python, and Ruby. They are just a few but I see them popping up in my area for jobs. I also use Linux. I am really thinking about moving into that job market. There are so many jobs needing people in the Linux field that I should be able to get a job. Maybe that is.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pls4550 wrote: »
    To RobertKaucher: I don't believe I have anything along those lines near where I live. The city that I live near is not that populated and for any big chain stores it is about 1 hour in any direction. Thank you for your help.

Surely you have churches and small businesses in your area. You can do work for them on a volunteer basis as well. You might also consider starting something like that. Rebuild old PCs and donate them to churches and other non-profits.

But if where you live is so sparcely populated how do you intend on finding work in the IT field any way?
  • pls4550pls4550 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As I said I live in a spot that 1 hour in almost any direction puts you in a bigger city. I have found many jobs with 1.5 hours from where I live. Traveling is not a problem for me. As I said I am a land surveyor and I have done work all over my state. Traveling 1 to 1.5 hours to get to a company would be nothing for me. I would gladly donate any time to small businesses and churches to work on their computers if they would let me. I will ask around this week.