Options

Questions about lab suggestions

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Greetings All:

Well I am coming to the end of my CCNA journey and I plan to take the test July 15th. After that I want to go for the MCSA exams, Linux+, and then Finish the year with CCNA:SEC or the First NP test (still trying to decide).

At any rate what would be a good lab for CCNA:SEC and possible to start off for a CCNP ( I don't really plan to start doing those things until next year sometime). I was thinking 2 routers and 2 switches, Maybe 2 2500's and 2 cheap switches. I have read other post from people and havent really found anything that ansewers my question. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knwminus wrote: »
    Maybe 2 2500's
    You need 12.4(6)T or 12.4(9)T IOS (or greater) -- at least the Advanced Security or greater feature set -- for the zone firewalls. You also could use something that runs/supports SDM. The 2500s don't do either.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You need 12.4(6)T or 12.4(9)T IOS (or greater) -- at least the Advanced Security or greater feature set -- for the zone firewalls. You also could use something that runs/supports SDM. The 2500s don't do either.

Do you think 2 routers and a switch (assuming that the routers are 12.4 or higher or better ) would be enough for this test.
  • Options
    Do you think 2 routers and a switch (assuming that the routers are 12.4 or higher or better ) would be enough for this test.
    You need at least one switch to do the configurations.... but more switches let you actually see the results of your configurations. I think the 3 layer 2 switches I usually recommend for a CCNA home lab should be enough for the CCNA:Security.

You need at least 2 routers running those IOS version(s) (or higher) I mentioned -- they have to be the 12.4 T train. 2 routers would also be the minimum to work through the configurations you need to learn and know for the exam.... but a couple more routers might make your configurations "more realistic" and easier to observe and test.

There really is a trial version of Cisco Secure ACS that you can download (at least it was still on Cisco's website last year).... I just don't have the URL handy (or written down anywhere I can remember -- might have been the Cisco marketplace?? ). Having an ACS Server makes it possible to test the configurations you should be learning. Having a Radius server instead at least would let you test some of the AAA authentication configurations you'll be learning.

At some point you'd also be configuring your routers to use a syslog server -- so it could help to have one of those in your lab.

There have been a few threads about syslog servers all over different TechExam.Net forums -- including suggestions for free syslog servers. Ditto for Radius Servers (and free Radius Serviers).
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    30 Day Trial for Kiwi Syslog Server

Too bad too, it used not to have the 30 day restriction!
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It looks like they still have the free version. They just want to show you the full version with all the additional options.
  • Options
    Interesting.

I am thinking about going for the CCNA:SEC then CCNP next year (3 test route). Would the lab mentioned before be enough for both?
  • Options
    Would the lab mentioned before be enough for both?
    For the CCNP you could use about 5 routers, of which 2 should support MPLS -- but Dynamips is also an option for BSCI and parts of the other exams.

Out of the 3 switches for the CCNP, at least one should be a Layer 3 switch (3550, 3560, or 3750).
  • Options
    For the CCNP you could use about 5 routers, of which 2 should support MPLS -- but Dynamips is also an option for BSCI and parts of the other exams.

Out of the 3 switches for the CCNP, at least one should be a Layer 3 switch (3550, 3560, or 3750).

ok. Cool. I am thinking about looking at CiscoKits and then just duplicating what the labs have in them. I don't want to spend more than 600 dollars (this maybe on the cheap end but I really don't have the money to spend icon_redface.gif). Also I really want to be more than a paper CCNA/P ( you know what I mean icon_wink.gif). I think I will look on ebay because even though CiscoKits looks convient, it does also look expensive$$$$.

Anyone have any tips. I want to start building my cisco lab soon because starting in November, I want to start studying for the CCNP. Also is the 4 test or 3 test route recommended?
  • Options

I am thinking this:

Note My lab goals are as follows:
    1: To further execute CCNA level knowledge as to help with the education processes

2: To help me with studies for the CCNP (3 exam or 4 exam route) with little to no upgrading of the equipment

3: To be under $750- 800 (just to get off the ground) and 1000 (with possible upgrades as requires.

Secondary goals:

1: To help with CCNA:SEC
    2: To Help with CCDA

Ultimate goals for this year and next:
    Within 1 year I would like to have CCNA, CCNP, and CCNA:SEC certifications if possible with CCNA and CCNP being my primary focus.

Possible Lab specs:

1 3550 Layer 3 Switch:
    http://tiny.cc/N22Xz

2-3 2610 Routers:
    Cisco 2600 Series 2610 Router CCNA CCNP 90 DAYS Waranty - eBay (item 150334550472 end time Jul-22-09 06:17:14 PDT)

1-2 2950 Switches
    Cisco 2950 Switch WS-C2950-24 24 Ports For CCNA CCNP - eBay (item 150331731779 end time Aug-07-09 23:11:42 PDT)

And maybe a 2501
    Cisco 2501 DC 2500 series router Ethernet Serial WAN - eBay (item 370100555241 end time Jul-17-09 10:08:14 PDT)

Would this be enough? Also I would be interested in using dynaps if needed.

Feedback on this from anyone would be greatly helpful.