Advice on approaching 291

siniabhilashsiniabhilash Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hai Guys,

I have passed it second time with 963. Used Transcender and Measure up. The truth is those of you who have failed it first time and feel it is difficult think once again, you can pass and kill it but just to reiterate you must have noticed the pattern.

1. The long the questions the easy the answers, vice versa, the shorter the question it would be tricky. Dont fall for the trap, the answers are hidden, by which i mean, there is a tendency to go for the one choice by reading a question straight away, THINK AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAINicon_rolleyes.gif.... that will not be the answer, because.............the question didn't ask it at the first place.

2. Always try to think why the other choices are not right and try to eliminate (that would extend your knowledge on the subject or simply convince yourself that you are confident that it is because it is not)

3. Your first choice of the answer should be re-evaluated before ensuring that is the right choice.

4. Help yourself to re-read all the available option which is generally ignored on seeing the right once (which you think so)

5. Utilise the whole time to the maximum because 3 hrs would otherwise be too much and microsoft are not idiots to give you such a time if so many feel it is easy and finish it in 40 minutes.

This post does not pertain to experts and professiionals working in industry or who gain certifications by their experience or who are IT gurus. It is only intended for beginners and people like me who are trying to grow in the industry by gaining qualification.
Sini Abhilash
A+, N+, 270, 290, 291, 299 (MCSA)

Comments

• mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Great score.
    Did you have many long questions? Those are my worst ones because I lose focus easily on them.
  • siniabhilashsiniabhilash Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had few but the trick is in reading key CODES like Windows 2000 or Win 95 or simply XP (means no service packs) because the generally tendency is we tend to over look this bit and think we are confident with the answer and we are right but you are right for the wrong scenario.

But you can be relaxed you are not likely to get long questions because lot of my friends have faced this exam for the last 5 months and only come across one at the maxim and mostly never.

All the best ...go on and kill it
    Sini Abhilash
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good, I been delaying to sit down for this exam, I read the ms book and did all the practice labs, now I am getting a little motivated to sit down and pass it (hopely)
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• tribe_menxtribe_menx Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Am using CBT nuggets for this .. just like i did for ma 290 exams ... wanted to get vtc products or testout but getting the disc shipped to ma country might be a hustle ..... ms press book is pretty boring and dry for me liking me not sure wich book u can recommend for this tough nonetheless so far exciting exam ...
    B.Science Information Systems
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sounds like some good advice. need this one out of the way in the next 6 weeks :O
  • siniabhilashsiniabhilash Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Transcender and Measureup, which covers all the subject areas and should be enough to understand the PATTERN............
    Sini Abhilash
    tribe_menx wrote: »
    ms press book is pretty boring and dry for me liking me not sure wich book u can recommend for this tough nonetheless so far exciting exam ...
    I read the MSPress over n over and failed this test many times. That was about 20 months ago; had heaps of looong questions.
    Have just gone through TestOut and suddenly everything makes sense; almost ready to book my exam.
    Try TestOut; it's a bunch of training videos and sims that I found to be very thorough (except WSUS). Much better than trying to read an 800+ pg manual.
  • tribe_menxtribe_menx Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unlike 290 this exams seems to go beyond than passing the actuall test, to bad i already have cbt nuggets and tryina get testout may run out of time, for the labs will do alot of practise on vmware for some reseason i begginin to be out of favour of pratical exams, to me they are like **** and to a extend devalue the certifications ( only way to me passing the exams and know wat u actually doing is doin labs either testout, cbt muggets, vtc .. etc ... ) ....
    B.Science Information Systems
    tribe_menx wrote: »
    i begginin to be out of favour of pratical exams, to me they are like **** and to a extend devalue the certifications
    Not at all; mock exams are an excellent learning tool and mentally prepare you for the real thing. Remember you not only need to know the subject material but also how to read and understand exam questions.
    You will be doing yourself a great disservice by not using practise exams.