Options

MCSA or MCDST?????

silentsilent Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice? I'm kind of undecided on whether i should pursue the MCSA or MCDST. I just got my A+ cert, and i will be getting the Network+ soon. At this point I'm leaning more towards the MCSA because I think it would be more helpful in finding a job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Well, I thought this over as well, and I'm continuing for MCSA. MCDST doesn't really have the credit M$ hoped for, not a lot of people have gone for it(<5000). It's rather easy to pass really, but don't let that fool you. I'm halfway to MCDST, and I don't want to spend the $$$ on a voucher to pass an exam that may not get me further than I am now. MCSA is more noticeable, and will give you a good understanding of M$, in the case you were to advance to MCSE.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    leefdaddy7leefdaddy7 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would definately recommend the MCSA plus the Net+ and A+ count as an elective towards it anyways.
  • Options
    silentsilent Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think i will go for the MCSA because i just turned one of my old computers into a file and print server with win 2003 server installed. This will give me some hands on experience with win 2003 server. I'm going to go get a book for the 70-290 exam tonight. Thanks for the advice guys!
    icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    leefdaddy7leefdaddy7 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    silent wrote:
    I think i will go for the MCSA because i just turned one of my old computers into a file and print server with win 2003 server installed. This will give me some hands on experience with win 2003 server. I'm going to go get a book for the 70-290 exam tonight. Thanks for the advice guys!
    icon_thumright.gif

No problem, now do some cool stuff, like make it a domain controller and install active directory. set it up to do RIS installations, stuff like that. :)

also make a dns and dhcp server.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    leefdaddy7 wrote:
    do some cool stuff, like make it a domain controller and install active directory. set it up to do RIS installations, stuff like that. :)

also make a dns and dhcp server.

That is probably the best way to learn this material. I have two machines, and can run 4 with VirtualPC. This allows me to make up my own excercises for each objective as I read through my books.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    JerzJerz Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    silent wrote:
    icon_thumright.gif

That's probably a good decision since your other certs count towards an MCSA. I went the MCDST route because it counts towards the MCSA and I knew all of the MCDST stuff very well already because of extensive use of Office and XP so for me it was a no brainer.

Jerz