Sec + book

SupermiguelSupermiguel Member Posts: 122
im A+, N+, MCP. I been working with computer for few years, i want to take the S+ exam (201), i tried the self test software and i get 80's and 90's on the tests.. This has been my only study you guys think i should buy: Amazon.com: Mike Meyers' CompTIA Security+ Certification Passport, Second Edition (Mike Meyers' Certification Passport): T. J. Samuelle: Books and read it front to back and then take the test? also i have the 201 CBT nuggets which im going to start watching today..

Comments

• CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I've heard that the CBT nuggets are pretty good. I don't have the extra $$ for the videos. I'm am using the Sybex Security+ Training Kit and the Exam Cram books. I'm also using the exams here and profrofs.com. I'm taking the exam late August / early September (I'm also preparing for the 70-270 MS exam).

Good Luck!
  • SupermiguelSupermiguel Member Posts: 122
    I've heard that the CBT nuggets are pretty good. I don't have the extra $$ for the videos. I'm am using the Sybex Security+ Training Kit and the Exam Cram books. I'm also using the exams here and profrofs.com. I'm taking the exam late August / early September (I'm also preparing for the 70-270 MS exam).

Good Luck!

this one: Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+ Exam Cram (2nd Edition): Diane Barrett, Kirk Hausman, Martin Weiss: Books

any of these books worth it? which one is the best?
    im also going to use Main Page - Techotopia, ProProfs: Knowledge Sharing Tools & Free Online Education, tech exams and cbt nuggets.. should i also read a book?
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Im thinking of taking that test next friday.. Should i postpone it and read a book?

Everyone has different study habits.

I usually read the books (several of them), and do all the question / answer sections. I'm taking my time because between now and when I want to take my exam, I have work projects, vacation, cover other co-worker's vacations, help plan my wedding, prep for a marathon, as well as prep for my MCSE path.

I try not to concentrate on the questions from the books and web sites because I find that I'm might be memorizing the questions through repitition (sp?) and not actually learning the material.
    Everyone has different study habits.

I usually read the books (several of them), and do all the question / answer sections. I'm taking my time because between now and when I want to take my exam, I have work projects, vacation, cover other co-worker's vacations, help plan my wedding, prep for a marathon, as well as prep for my MCSE path.

I try not to concentrate on the questions from the books and web sites because I find that I'm might be memorizing the questions through repitition (sp?) and not actually learning the material.

so http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Deluxe-Study-Guide/dp/0470372966 is prob the best book to read?
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Yep!

I think the Sybex book is a must for your Sec+ studies. I used Sybex and CBTNuggets and was successful. You should also find yourself searching the web for additional information on the subjects you study.

Sec+ is very broad in scope, and no 2 sources will cover every possibility, but 2 will give a solid foundation.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • MJackMJack Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Go for syngress...beside sybex. It is too exhaustive and enough if you master it besides exam cram. Use all the website forum and Google to understand the stuff like cryptography, etc.

MJack:)