Interested in CISSP

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
I have been reading about CISSP and it covers subjects that really interest me and i would love to study for this cert but not sure if i cover the prereqs? I have been a Systems Administrator now for 3 years.

Comments

• unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    billybob01 wrote: »
    I have been reading about CISSP and it covers subjects that really interest me and i would love to study for this cert but not sure if i cover the prereqs? I have been a Systems Administrator now for 3 years.

The requirements for experience are 5 years of full time direct experience with two of the 10 domains in the CISSP ((ISC)² Security Transcends Technology). Your experience does not have to be all in the two domains, but a combined 5 years ((ISC)² Security Transcends Technology). If you are able to map all your experience to 5 years you may be able to pass their audits. You can also knock off a year from the experience if you have a qualifying certification, like SSCP or SEC+ ((ISC)² Security Transcends Technology), or a degree. Please contact ICS2 for a definitive answer in your specific situation.

If you do not meet the required experience and are able to pass the certification test, you will be awarded an Associate of ISC2 ((ISC)² Security Transcends Technology) until such time you are able to demonstrate the required experience.

If you do not all ready have a security certification, I would recommend that you look into getting a lower level certification so you are not overwhelmed with the sheer amount of topics and detail required to pass the CISSP. Because with the CISSP it is not about knowing the material, you have to understand concepts and the the relationships between the material.

Good luck if you decide to continue down this path.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • HallucinateHallucinate Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is probably a stupid question, but I am going to ask anyways. It requires a combined total of 5 years experience. Lets say that at my current job I have worked there for 3 years, and have direct experience with access control and application security. Do I have 3 years experience or do I have 6 combined years (3 with access control and 3 with application security?

Again, probably a stupid question, but why not? :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'd have three years. I believe they specify that you need to have full-time experience in at least two of the domains. Also, select certs (such as your Security+) and degrees will knock one year off of that experience requirement, so you'll only need four years.
  • HallucinateHallucinate Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How do I get someone to vouch for my experience? No one that I work for or with has CISSP. It's my understanding that someone with CISSP must vouch for my experience.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    How do I get someone to vouch for my experience? No one that I work for or with has CISSP. It's my understanding that someone with CISSP must vouch for my experience.

You can choose for ISC2 to verify your experience, there is an option for that on the verification form. Another option might be to attend a ISC2 chapter meeting or conference, you could make some great networking contacts there. You may also find someone from a forum or message board willing to sponsor you.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Information Systems Security Association is another place you might be able to make some contacts. I know a few CISSPs here have offered to help sponsor people they've gotten to know as well.
  • billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    Maybe i should go for the SSCP first as i definately cover the requirements and it looks like a good intro into these certs.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    You can choose for ISC2 to verify your experience, there is an option for that on the verification form.

Just been looking at this as it looks like I now need to acheive this (sooner rather than later) I'm happy to be audited (unless I strike lucky and find a sponsor) but can anyone tell me what that entails ?
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Just been looking at this as it looks like I now need to acheive this (sooner rather than later) I'm happy to be audited (unless I strike lucky and find a sponsor) but can anyone tell me what that entails ?

I would assume ISC2 will verify your references and work experience, just as any endorser would. :)
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    I would assume ISC2 will verify your references and work experience, just as any endorser would. :)

k cheers so nothing really much to worry there icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)