CCNA or Network+ or CCENT

sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
Which would YOU get if you had basically no networking experiance, but lots of server experiance?

I know I have a similar question in the MS forums, but I wanted to open this up to a poll so people could just vote. Thanks.
A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Which would YOU get if you had basically no networking experiance, but lots of server experiance?

I know I have a similar question in the MS forums, but I wanted to open this up to a poll so people could just vote. Thanks.

Net+ is the way to go. It will give you a frim foundation for the CCNA
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you already have quite a bit of server experience then I'm sure you have enough knowledge to go the CCENT/CCNA route.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I guess if you have Cisco gear you'd want to go down that path of study. If someone had limited knowledge of networking I'd advise going for CCENT first and follow up with CCNA.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Take a little longer and go directly for the CCNA. It supersedes both, Net+ and CCENT.

Simply put, the amount of time most people take to step up from a Net+/CCENT level of knowledge is short enough that they're essentially wasting their money on them, they'll never really see a return on it.

I took Net+ for one reason, and one reason only - For exemption credit for the MCSA. I hate Microsoft exams so much that I felt I was better off taking another CompTIA exam that I didn't need in order to avoid taking a fourth Microsoft exam.

Of course it didn't end up making any difference for me, I passed the Win2k Pro and Server exams and just couldn't not force myself to take the last exam (it's somewhat ironic that it's the network management exam that I'm short)
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    CCENT, then CCNA. No need for the N+.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

What do you consider "lots of server experience?" I find it hard to understand how you might have lots of server experience but no networking experience. It's almost like saying you are a mechanic who does not know how to drive...

Not trying to be a sarcastic jerk, I just think you are probably undervaluing you networking knowledge. Assuming this is not a totally hypothetical situation.
  • sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What do you consider "lots of server experience?" I find it hard to understand how you might have lots of server experience but no networking experience. It's almost like saying you are a mechanic who does not know how to drive...

Not trying to be a sarcastic jerk, I just think you are probably undervaluing you networking knowledge. Assuming this is not a totally hypothetical situation.

Sorry, should have explained. I am experianced with both Windows Server 2003 and Server 2008. I passed the 83-640 (AD Config on Server 2008 ) with an 800 score. I know how to setup and maintain a server, add and configure roles like DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, etc. I am pretty good with group policy. I have even deployed XP using WDS.

When I said I had no networking experiance, I meant "real" experiance on network equipment. Sure, I can plug some CAT5 cable into a couple of routers, ping my connection, and use Windows tools like IPConfig or Netstat to monitor my connections, but I have no idea how to begin programming a router or switch.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

P.S. "Lots" of experiance was a poor choice of words - compared to some people, my server experiance is baby steps. :D
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    If you have no networking experience AND you are trying to get a job - CCNA.

If you have no networking experience AND just trying to get your feet wet for maybe branching out - Net+

It just depends on what you're trying to do careerwise. CCNA is going to be tough, and maybe a little discouraging sometimes. Net+ is more just memorization stuff you can do on the toilet or in your slack time.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    What? no options for JNCIA? ;)

If you have any networking knowledge then the Net+ will be a waste of time imo. If you have no networking knowledge then the Net+ might be helpful, maybe... Definitely go for the CCNA over the other choices, it might take you a little longer to get it but you'll also have a better networking knowledge base.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
    Aldur wrote: »
    What? no options for JNCIA? ;)

If you have any networking knowledge then the Net+ will be a waste of time imo. If you have no networking knowledge then the Net+ might be helpful, maybe... Definitely go for the CCNA over the other choices, it might take you a little longer to get it but you'll also have a better networking knowledge base.

Once I obtain my CCNP I plan on starting on the Juniper track, some good opportunities with Juniper certs IMHO.

• PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Take a little longer and go directly for the CCNA. It supersedes both, Net+ and CCENT.

Simply put, the amount of time most people take to step up from a Net+/CCENT level of knowledge is short enough that they're essentially wasting their money on them, they'll never really see a return on it.

I took Net+ for one reason, and one reason only - For exemption credit for the MCSA. I hate Microsoft exams so much that I felt I was better off taking another CompTIA exam that I didn't need in order to avoid taking a fourth Microsoft exam.

Of course it didn't end up making any difference for me, I passed the Win2k Pro and Server exams and just couldn't not force myself to take the last exam (it's somewhat ironic that it's the network management exam that I'm short)

Same reason I took the Net+. It took very, VERY little study and it was added to my MS transcript as an elective (along with the A+).

Although, I disagree with the waste of money part. The CCNA two exam vs. the one exam is the same price. Study time would be similar, too, as you are using the same resources pretty much...
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I meant the Net+ would be a waste of money. The CCNA supersedes it entirely. It might be worth studying for it to get your feet wet, but actually taking it isn't worth the effort, IMHO. I just feel the Net+ gives a lousy return for the investment
    I meant the Net+ would be a waste of money. The CCNA supersedes it entirely. It might be worth studying for it to get your feet wet, but actually taking it isn't worth the effort, IMHO. I just feel the Net+ gives a lousy return for the investment

Yea if I had to do it over I probably woulda of skipped Net+ myself, I do have to say though it was fun studying for it at the time.

• ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Do Comptia Network + first. It will teach you the fundamentals of networking then you can do Cisco exams.