ATM resources

PStefanovPStefanov Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could recommend any books specifically focused on ATM. I tried searching in GroupStudy's archive, but with no luck. I read the white paper on Cisco's website as well as the Guide to ATM Technology from Cisco Press, but it's extremely difficult to find any resources on this topic. Vendor-independent stuff is preferred. CCIE SPs and ATM gurus, please help :)

Pavel

Comments

• rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi pavel,

wow, this is what i've talked about with aldur the other day. back when i was cleaning up my bookshelf - i have this nortel networks book - i bought it years ago, which has a significant amount of ATM-related material, perhaps you want to take a look :
    Amazon.com: Nortel Networks: The Complete Reference: James Knapp: Books

its a good book btw, but i havent got the time to finished up my reading ;)

HTH.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I liked this old Cisco Press book from back in the day when ATM and Dinosaurs ruled the earth..... and I wasn't even working with Cisco Equipment then.
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: CISCO ATM Solutions: Master ATM Implementation of Cisco Networks
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • PStefanovPStefanov Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much both for your suggestions. I'll definitely take a look at both books soon.

Pavel
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    PStefanov wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if someone could recommend any books specifically focused on ATM. I tried searching in GroupStudy's archive, but with no luck. I read the white paper on Cisco's website as well as the Guide to ATM Technology from Cisco Press, but it's extremely difficult to find any resources on this topic. Vendor-independent stuff is preferred. CCIE SPs and ATM gurus, please help :)

Pavel

Galina Pildush is the ATM goddess. She wrote the book Mike has recommended and this was stock in trade for CCIEs in the 4 digit days. She also wrote some papers on the certificationzone website. ATM is complex and seriously cool requiring quite a lot of patience to learn in depth.

You should also check out this book by Timothy Kwok Chief ATM Architect at Microsoft.

Amazon.com: ATM: the New Paradigm for Internet, Intranet & Residential Broadband Services & Applications: Timothy Kwok: Books

Again, this was essential reading back in the 4 digit days.
    Thanks! I guess people who got into networking 10 years ago or more had to know ATM inside out, but I hear that the SP lab is not that much focused on ATM anymore and the lab is concentrated on other, newer technologies. So I don't think I will try to learn every single specific of it. 2 or 3 books should sufficient to have a grip on it I suppose.
    Just an update for those who are going down the same path as me - Guide to ATM Technology (can be found on Cisco's website) is a great book (can be downloaded as pdf). Although it delves somewhat deep into ATM and looks rather in the core of the network than on the edge, it is still very useful.

It was also interesting to find out that OSPF has inherited a lot of its concepts and mechanisms from PNNI. Just how lucky I would have been had I been born in the 70s or 80s! :)
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I read the very same guide back in the day in 2000. A tough read but worth it.