Need some help please

whiteboinycwhiteboinyc Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys I am very new to all of this so be easy on me :D

I just recently graduated from SUNY Albany with a degree in Information Science and a minor in Criminal Justice. I want to pursue a career in IT and hopefully something to do with security and computer investigations as from research I have done this is where the field is heading.

I am entry level right now without a job and I was wondering what I should start with certification wise. I have been looking and found that A+ certification is pretty standard and needed. My first question is do I need to take this before I take for instance CCENT or CCNA for cisco. And what are some good companies to take classes with/study from for the certifications.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Welcome!

First, since you are coming fresh out of school, what sort of advice did your career/guidence/degree advisor(s) recommend for you? They also should be able to assist with job placement too.

Second, not everyone 'needs' an A+ Cert, particularly when you know what aspect of IT you wish to support/work. It won't hurt you, but if you are already interested in Cisco certs, you could be successful by pursuing those, check the forum on this site for more information about these certs.
    *** if you are NOT familiar with hardware, then you may wish to go through this process just to better understand the areas covered ***

Lastly, a good percentage of people learn as they go. They download the objectives for a particular subject, purchase or borrow the books for that topic, discuss questions on the forum, read white papers and such to better prepare and understand the particular topic you will test on.

Train Signal - Computer Training Videos - Windows 2008, Cisco, Office 2007, VMware & more! has some fantastic material to with exam prep. You should look at their materials.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forum!

Since you have a degree, I would start with the A+ IT Technician, then do Network+, and Security+. These are well known certs and will help your resume.
    If you have a lot of experience in these areas due to your degree, then they should be pretty easy for you.
    After going through them, you will be exposed to a lot of IT areas and might find a specific field you like.
  • whiteboinycwhiteboinyc Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help I really do appreciate it.

I really am looking more towards security and protection of materials on the network. I would REALLY like to some day in the future be a computer forensic investigator or something along those lines but for now I want to work my way towards security certifications.

Any suggestions?
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Welcome!

First, since you are coming fresh out of school, what sort of advice did your career/guidence/degree advisor(s) recommend for you? They also should be able to assist with job placement too.

Second, not everyone 'needs' an A+ Cert, particularly when you know what aspect of IT you wish to support/work. It won't hurt you, but if you are already interested in Cisco certs, you could be successful by pursuing those, check the forum on this site for more information about these certs.
    *** if you are NOT familiar with hardware, then you may wish to go through this process just to better understand the areas covered ***

Lastly, a good percentage of people learn as they go. They download the objectives for a particular subject, purchase or borrow the books for that topic, discuss questions on the forum, read white papers and such to better prepare and understand the particular topic you will test on.

Train Signal - Computer Training Videos - Windows 2008, Cisco, Office 2007, VMware & more! has some fantastic material to with exam prep. You should look at their materials.

I second that!icon_cheers.gif
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Thanks for the help I really do appreciate it.

I really am looking more towards security and protection of materials on the network. I would REALLY like to some day in the future be a computer forensic investigator or something along those lines but for now I want to work my way towards security certifications.

Any suggestions?

Your first major step should be Security +, it is a building block towards the other more advanced security certifications, I would not advise going straight after the CISSP or SSCP, escpecially since those require you have experience in the fields of security before you can attempt certification.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get A+ or Network + either but those are optional as Security + is the one you should be shooting for. If you do not have basic computer or networking knowledge then I recomend those certs as you cannot be a good security professional if you do not know basic computing or networking skills.
  • skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys I am very new to all of this so be easy on me :D

I just recently graduated from SUNY Albany with a degree in Information Science and a minor in Criminal Justice. I want to pursue a career in IT and hopefully something to do with security and computer investigations as from research I have done this is where the field is heading.

I am entry level right now without a job and I was wondering what I should start with certification wise. I have been looking and found that A+ certification is pretty standard and needed. My first question is do I need to take this before I take for instance CCENT or CCNA for cisco. And what are some good companies to take classes with/study from for the certifications.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

No you don't need to take A+ before CCNET or CCNA. It would probably be a good idea to get your A+ first and then go for your CCNA.

It's also a good idea to take the CCNA as 2 separate exams. The ICND 1 gets you your CCNET. ICND 2 gets you your CCNA if you passed ICND 1.