Cisco Certified Achitect

wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
Announced today

Cisco Raises the Bar with Highest-Level IT Networking Certification: Cisco Certified Architect -> News@Cisco

"Cisco Raises the Bar with Highest-Level IT Networking Certification: Cisco Certified Architect
New Certification Resides Above CCIE to Validate Competency and Experience in Support of Growing Innovation in Network Infrastructure Architecture"

Why oh why do they keep moving the bar each time I get closer.....
Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Interesting.

And by that, I mean icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At least the CCDE (and 10 years industry experience) is the prerequisite.

But I'm not sure an exam board could throw out some of the obscure requirements I've heard from non-technical executives -- unless they use "requirements" they've collected on the job icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    now the basic prerequisite for any entry level job will now be the professional level.. wtf.. getting into IT( networking) will require 5 years, professional level cert and a degree just for letting you patch cables and paste configs..just joking but in all seriousness icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

And by that, I mean icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

+1 to that response icon_eek.gif

Errrr, so a CCIE is now like, an MCSA or something? ;)

I kinda like the requirements, but it'll make a mockery of various HR departments who are looking for a Cisco Certified Architect and end up interviewing a load of Citrix people instead (think about it ;) )
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It just gives CCIE's another milestone to focus on, and hopefully provide another way to guage their skillset beyond the CCIE. The thing is once you get the CCIE certification wise you can only move laterally (or back a step or 2 as I'm doing by working my CCNP to go back through R&S). At the moment a lot of technical recruiters are starting to look at the CCIE number itself to guage deeper experience (smaller number = longer a CCIE) which is a pretty bad metric imho. This way those that maintain that they are truly Cisco gods and beyond 'mere' CCIE's can prove it (or stfu ;) )
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wildfire wrote: »
    Announced today

Cisco Raises the Bar with Highest-Level IT Networking Certification: Cisco Certified Architect -> News@Cisco

"Cisco Raises the Bar with Highest-Level IT Networking Certification: Cisco Certified Architect
    New Certification Resides Above CCIE to Validate Competency and Experience in Support of Growing Innovation in Network Infrastructure Architecture"

Why oh why do they keep moving the bar each time I get closer.....

I shouldn't worry. The CCIE is still the Uber configuration certification in the Cisco World but it was never designed (no pun intended) for designers. Many CCIE's or non CCIEs for that matter do a lot of design work and the CCDE and CCA are avenues to explore there. I have to say though that as time elapses, you become more experienced and take on more responsibility it will be difficult to keep up with these unless you work for Cisco or a large Cisco Partner. Both types of organisation give you the technical project exposure and importantly the time to persue these sorts of qualifications.
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    It seems like this is a certification designed to get more money out of those that do have 10 or more years but only spend $350 every two years to renew their CCIE. Oh well...
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    The way I see it, the new cert focuses on network design so I dont see why any CCIE should be threatened by it. The only negative point I see with the exam is the cost according to Cisco announces its highest level certification ever - Network World the cert costs $15,000 Which Is EXPENSIVE, I don't see the new cert effecting the status of CCIE, I may be wrong on that unfortunatly
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    I'm all about Cisco pushing the bar ever-higher. I think the key to remember is that regardless of the certs that are developed, the majority of people won't dedicate the time needed to get even professional level certs, so I think demand for expert level engineers will remain high.

I also agree with the configuration vs design argument. The CCDE & CCA are in an entirely different arena than, for example, the IE R&S. The trick is going to be working with less than educated HR departments and hiring managers.

I see this in our future:

Network Engineer Needed
    Job Requirements: Valid CCNA or CCA

icon_rolleyes.gif
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    MrD wrote: »
    I see this in our future:

Network Engineer Needed
    Job Requirements: Valid CCNA or CCA

icon_rolleyes.gif

Sad but very true!
  • jrs91jrs91 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MrD wrote: »
    I'm all about Cisco pushing the bar ever-higher. I think the key to remember is that regardless of the certs that are developed, the majority of people won't dedicate the time needed to get even professional level certs, so I think demand for expert level engineers will remain high.

icon_rolleyes.gif

I am curious... For those that work in companise with a lot of engineers, what proportion that get a ccna do a ccnp, and then how many do a ccie? I know that the ccie levels are still under 25000 worldwide...

Is it a 100->20->1 or 2 situation? I know cisco doesn't publish numbers on the other certs, but i'm wondering if someone with more exposure can ballpark it.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I think it really depends on how heavy an organization pushes certifications and whether or not there are incentives at the job to do so. Folks who work for Cisco partners are more likely to see a higher number of certified people than folks that aren't.
    jrs91 wrote: »
    I am curious... For those that work in companise with a lot of engineers, what proportion that get a ccna do a ccnp, and then how many do a ccie? I know that the ccie levels are still under 25000 worldwide...

Is it a 100->20->1 or 2 situation? I know cisco doesn't publish numbers on the other certs, but i'm wondering if someone with more exposure can ballpark it.

Most CCIE's work for Cisco or Major Cisco Partners. In either setting there is variable but in some cases tremendous support for the qualification in terms of resources, peer assistance, time. ASET labs are one example. The number of non Cisco, non Cisco Partner CCIE's is significant though but the track was never really designed for such folk IMHO.

25000 is still a low number for a track going on 15 years! It should stay about there a while with v4 lab coming out in October.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    jrs91 wrote: »

I work at a company with around 50+ give or take a few. 7 IE's. Mostly R&S and Voice

majority of network engineers have CCNP/CCVP depending on there job and a bunch of specialties

support engineers

All CCNA few Pro level certs. Pretty much you need certs to have a job. Cheaper discount on gear.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • liquid6liquid6 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCA should stand for Cisco Certified Addict...
    blog.insomniacnetwork.com
  • ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    $15,000 dollars? Are you joking? What happens if you get your CCDE AND your CCIE and they accept you into the program, but then ultimately deny you your cert?

Are you literally out 15,000 dollars? Or your company? At this point if you have 1 or more CCIEs and a CCDE and 10 years of experience, is it WORTH your time, and worth the risk of losing 15000 dollars to get this cert? What does this prove really? That a bunch Cisco's "distinguished" engineers approve of your work? Who the f*** are they? Why not Juniper? Why not a vendor independent panel?

No way.

Ever.
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    So, Derick, are you saying you aren't going for the CCA? :) Tell us how you really feel, haha.

Kidding man. I'm interested to see how this unfolds...
  • jesse.cciejesse.ccie Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Derick,
    Please sit down, and have another tall glass of this delicious Cisco Kool-Aid.

;)
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    liquid6 wrote: »
    CCA should stand for Cisco Certified Addict...

Nope that's already the M.I.K.E. :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    ccie15672 wrote: »
    $15,000 dollars? Are you joking? What happens if you get your CCDE AND your CCIE and they accept you into the program, but then ultimately deny you your cert?

Are you literally out 15,000 dollars? Or your company? At this point if you have 1 or more CCIEs and a CCDE and 10 years of experience, is it WORTH your time, and worth the risk of losing 15000 dollars to get this cert? What does this prove really? That a bunch Cisco's "distinguished" engineers approve of your work? Who the f*** are they? Why not Juniper? Why not a vendor independent panel?

No way.

Ever.

You have a point, but it has come from Cisco so I suppose they call the shots on this one. Honestly though I think unless you work for them directly or for a major Cisco Partner it's extremely unlikely anyone from outside will obtain it. Not impossible, but without serious support from your employer I just don't think it's practical to prepare for properly. No time.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ccie15672 wrote: »

No way.

Ever.

That's a great point - somebody who has already earned both a CCIE and CCDE and has 10 years of experience, they are likely earning a fairly healthy salary already. What the CCA brings you in terms of additional salary if any will ultimately depend on how well of a job Cisco does pushing this as a highly sought after credential, and how receptive very large accounts would be to paying a premium for the peace of mind knowing such a qualified individual in working on their project(s).

So how long before panel review brain **** hit the **** sites???
  • SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    15k is a $ grab
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How much does the Microsoft Architect program cost?

Since no one is required by law to take and pay for the programs out of their own pocket, I'm not sure what the complaints and "outrage" over the price are for. If they had made it a prerequisite for renewing your CCNA certification then I could understand .... icon_rolleyes.gif

If there is value for you (or your company) to gain the recognition of being/having an "Architect" then it probably is worth the money.

If you're an independent Consultant and want to double or triple your billing rate, then it may be worth the money and effort -- assuming you have customers (or can find some) that are that impressed by the new certification.

If you work for Cisco or a large Cisco Business Partner and they offer you a chance to apply for the program (and they pay) then it's probably worth your time and effort.

If you think you deserve to become a Cisco Certified Architect (and are actually qualified) but can't afford it because you do nothing but pro bono work wiring inner city schools for Internet access.... um, I'm not sure why you'd need it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not sure about the MCA, but the Masters (step below) are about $20k each.
  • nullrouternullrouter Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I dont think people should worry about this, unless they are truely at the level this is intending to recognise. Then you're company which idealy would be a telco/cisco partner, would be paying the 15k USD fee.

Anyone else insisting on someone having a CCA for an IE role, would be the same as those that advertise jobs as 'CCNA or CCIE' required jobs (or CCDE, before anyone actually had one last year).
    CCIE R&S All Done :D

Web Blog of sorts:
    http://blog.nullrouter.com
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Considering the amount you need to go through, the 15k would be the least of your concern. If you really want to put it in $, if you spent your time working instead of studying for you CCIE, the total cost would amount to much more than 15k. Some people spend that much on hardware alone!

I think its another good step in the right direction for Cisco. It allows companies and employees further prove to their customers their expertise, and I imagine more than a few companies will be lining up for this.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    but it'll make a mockery of various HR departments who are looking for a Cisco Certified Architect and end up interviewing a load of Citrix people instead (think about it icon_wink.gif )

+1
    ahhahaahhahhahahaha hahahicon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    You know I was thinking (ouch) look at Microsoft you have MCSE and 2008 MCSE whatever that is and then don't you have Arhitect MS$$ something...it is the same thing in Engineering fields but seems to require much more training. I wonder what the qualifications are for Arhitect? You can have a guy who is an actual Architect like the olds days and then have engineers below him or her. But the Arhitect knows design and theory more...and can be more creative where the engineer knows the practical sense but really the Architect gets paid more and is the quarter back of engineering so to speak and gets all the credits and gets to put their name on the building! and gets to work with the CIOs and CFOs and CEOs...kind of again the executive level and a huge carrot for CCIEs to chase...I kind of think is cool for CCIEs to have a chance to to achieve..
    for us low on the totum pole..back to the grind!...icon_study.gif
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I'm surprised we all care. As daddy says, "for us low on the totum pole"... big deal. Let the 10 or 12 or however many DE's there are out there worry about it.

Now then, since I'm chasing the SP, followed by the IE in Security, if Cisco comes out a CCSG (Security GOD) certification, I'll care. However, as the DE has never even tweaked by interest, I don't care what Cisco decides to charge.

Oh, and did you notice that the recertification requirements have not been decided on yet? I can't wait to see what kind of a precedent Cisco creates here. I'll laugh my ass off if the cert is good for two years and you have to sit in front of the board again for another 15G's. Ouch!
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

if Cisco comes out a CCSG (Security GOD) certification,

ahahaahahah haahhahaha that would be awesome GOD!

Cisco GOD! CCG vs CCA that is next ahahahahaha

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'll laugh my ass off if the cert is good for two years and you have to sit in front of the board again for another 15G's. Ouch!

great point!
    though I am happy for those who arer Quad CCIEs you know they just get board unless that have another carrot! ;)