contract work with unemployment

keving458keving458 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello i have the chance to do some IT contract work for a few weeks here and there but i still need to collect unemployment. Does anyone have any input on if i can still collect or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    there is a cap to how much you can legally earn before you are no longer eligible for unemployment benefits, and that will vary by region. If you are checking in weekly or biweekly for continued unemployment benefits, there usually is a spot to report any income you've received in that time period, and if you exceed the cap it may disqualify you for benefits for that time period automatically...or it may not. Your best bet is to check on the regulations for your area.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • keving458keving458 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The pay is $16hr so it will probably be higher than unemployment. I dont mind not collecting for those weeks but i just dont want to lose it indefinitely
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depends on the state. In Georgia (since i'm currently drawing unemployment) you must report anything over $50 and above that you lose dollar for dollar what you make from your unemployment check. Once the contract ends, you should request a letter stating that your laid off and sign up for unemployment again.
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Baring some rules in your state that does it differently than the rest, you should be fine. You can either keep filing on a regular basis while reporting what you made, or select the option that you are working and don't need to report again. You should be allowed to re-open the case anytime you aren't working within the cut-off date (usually one year from the open date). Your best bet is to keep reporting on a regular basis so you don't have to be an "exception" with stopping and restarting. Also if you change you mind about this contract job, check on your states rules about turning down offers. For example, in Colorado you need to report all jobs you turn down, but by reading the fine print you find that only applies to permanent positions that offered your past pay or better. The rule of thumb for unemployment, as with most government dealings, is to not rock the boat. Just have everything ready to explain your case if you get selected for review, but don't do anything to send up red flags.
    Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Courses Completed at WGU:
    EWB2, BBC1, LAE1, WFV1, SSC1, CLC1, WDV1, MGC1, ORC1, INC1, IWC1
    Courses Required BS - IT: NETW:
    LAT1, LUT1, INT1, SST1, LET1, IWT1, BOV1, TWA1, CPW2
    Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1
  • keving458keving458 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all of the input. I will be contacting the dept of labor also just to verify.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    For AZ when you filed you would report you earnings and if it was over $30 for that week they would subtract it from what unemployment would pay out. Some weeks I would still file but not receive anything from unemployment.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Grizzy78Grizzy78 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You will lose your enemployment bud