CCNP revamped?

creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just got a course catalog from a local cisco training center.

o_0

They list the CCNP track as consisting of the following three new courses:
ROUTE
SWITCH
TSHOOT (Troubleshooting cisco switched Networks)

In other words, no more security/vpn or qos?

When I went to their site, all it lists is the ONT, ISCW etc. But surely they didn't just pull that new curriculum out of their ass?

I kinda think it sucks to remove the ONT and ISCW content, especially since I have already studied most of the material, but haven't yet begun my CCNP.

Anyone else heard of this?

/creamy
Itchy... Tasty!
[X] DCICN
[X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
[ ] DCICT

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Troubleshooting was one of the old CCNP exams before the current track. So I think this training provider is behind the curve not ahead.

Cisco's site doesn't indicate anything about changes to the current exams.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nah, the old troubleshooting exam was called CIT - cisco Internetwork Troubleshooting.

Also, they explicitly state that its a new curriculum and its now only three courses.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    Serenity now
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    miller811 wrote: »

miller811,

That lists the current publically published requirements to achieve CCNP certification. It doesn't mention non-public information such as possible changes in the works behind the scenes.

In a related note, the current publically published webpage for the 640-801 CCNA exam lists "Retired November 6, 2007." However, those who are still eligible, due to non-pubilic information, may still take the 650-801 CCNA exam until next month.

Link: 640-801 CCNA - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

So please don't claim that someone's mistaken purely based on only publically available information.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    miller811,

That lists the current publically published requirements to achieve CCNP certification. It doesn't mention non-public information such as possible changes in the works behind the scenes.

In a related note, the current publically published webpage for the 640-801 CCNA exam lists "Retired November 6, 2007." However, those who are still eligible, due to non-pubilic information, may still take the 650-801 CCNA exam until next month.

Link: 640-801 CCNA - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

So please don't claim that someone's mistaken purely based on only publically available information.

It is not based purely on publicly available information, it is also based on my opinion.:D
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Based on the fact that Cisco is actually expanding what the CCIE R&S covers and that the CCNP is considered by them to be the professional level cert to prepare for the CCIE R&S, I find it highly unlikely that they would scale back what the CCNP covers at this time. Training vendors are free to offer whatever classes they want and call them whatever they want. I'd say it's probable that these "new" courses from the training vendor had name changes for reasons within the training vendor's curriculum, not upcoming exam changes on Cisco's part.

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    They list the CCNP track as consisting of the following three new courses:
    ROUTE
    SWITCH
    TSHOOT (Troubleshooting cisco switched Networks)

In other words, no more security/vpn or qos?
    If it was TSHOOT in addition to ONT and ISCW then it'd be a little more believable. I don't see Cisco taking those topics out of CCNP any time soon.
  • snakepsnakep Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone tell me what the individual exam fees are for BSCI, BCMSN, ONT and ISCW? Can't seem to find them anywhere...tks. sl
  • netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    tiersten wrote: »
    If it was TSHOOT in addition to ONT and ISCW then it'd be a little more believable. I don't see Cisco taking those topics out of CCNP any time soon.

+1.

Dont see ONT and ISCW being removed.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I dunno, I actually could see it if they're going to continue their trend of fanning everything out into specializations.

The problem with the CCNP is that it's a jack of all trades cert at the moment, and there are topics in the CCNP which I found frustrating because the amount of material seemed quite superficial. Wireless and Voice come immediately to mind.

Until Cisco announces anything along these lines, though, it's all speculation.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anyone else heard of this?
    Why don't you give them a call and ask them?

Are they listed on the Cisco web site as a Cisco Learning Center or Training Partner? If Cisco is changing the CCNP to this "new format", then they are probably violating their NDA with Cisco. Learning Partners/Training Centers do get some advanced notice about changes.

But if this is their own bootcamp type training that doesn't use or follow the official Cisco courseware, then this thread is just another silly thread like http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/39671-cisco-retires-642-901-exam-not.html. That is the only one of about 5 different threads on that "change" that I left in the forum.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Why don't you give them a call and ask them?

Are they listed on the Cisco web site as a Cisco Learning Center or Training Partner? If Cisco is changing the CCNP to this "new format", then they are probably violating their NDA with Cisco. Learning Partners/Training Centers do get some advanced notice about changes.
    /QUOTE]

They are listed, yes. I also bet they are scared shitless right now. What I think happened is someone in the marketing department made a big doodoo. Since no-one else has heard about this, my guess is they sent out a tentative 2010 catalog.

Anyway, the more I think about this, the more sense it makes; the CCNP really has been kind of all over place recently. Now, if you want ISCW- pick CCNA-S. No real one-cert replacement for ONT though. Perhaps they'll incorporate more QoS in the ROUTE and SWITCH exams, and if you want more than that, go CCIP.

But, yeah, total speculation now.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    the CCNP really has been kind of all over place recently
    I still think when they made the last changes they should have kept BCRAN and CIT and just made the CCNP a 7 exam Certification (like the MCSE) by adding the QOS exam and one of the CCSP exams like SNRS, and the CVOICE exam. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • eduromereduromer Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I do think troubleshooting should be on ccnp track it would be great for preparing for job and ccie new troubleshooting part on the lab. besides testing what you learn cause the emulation labs are really easy compared to real life stuff
    "Almost..... is as good as Nothing"
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I still think when they made the last changes they should have kept BCRAN and CIT and just made the CCNP a 7 exam Certification (like the MCSE) by adding the QOS exam and one of the CCSP exams like SNRS, and the CVOICE exam. :D

eff that
    That is interesting. Either there are changes brewing, or someone is going to lengths to stage a hoax
  • buemae808buemae808 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Those books didn't show up when I tried to search by the ISBN on Safari's website.
    Obviously, if this is legit, it's not supposed to be widespread knowledge yet, so that's not surprising. If the summaries of those books can be believed, Cisco should be announcing the changes this year. Just have to wait and see
  • crisb20crisb20 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did a copy and paste of the ISDN number for the CCNP route portable command guide on Amazon and came up with this:

Amazon.com: Deploying Cisco Wide Area: Books

The book is titled Deploying Cisco Wide Area and is scheduled to be released in November 2009.
    70 bucks, and a paper back instead of a hard back, so that's probably either going to be a CCIE book, or one of their supplemental guides, like network admins survival guide, or router firewall security
  • mfieldhousemfieldhouse Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Strange stuff. Creamy did you ever call the training center and ask them more about each of the modules and if the CCNP is changing?
    Strange stuff. Creamy did you ever call the training center and ask them more about each of the modules and if the CCNP is changing?

No, and I think it would be pointless to do it. I think there probably is a new curriculum around the corner, but these guys weren't supposed to release that info yet. They have obviously realized their mistake now, so they wouldn't tell me anything.

Also, I just bought the CCNP certification and command guide libraries and a BCMSN practice test, so cisco better not announce it now allout.gif
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    So what happens to the existing exams? Are they still valid, cause I'm working pretty hard towards passing the BCMSN in August, and planning on pushing forward for the ISCW and the ONT sometime this year. WTF??
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    So what happens to the existing exams? Are they still valid, cause I'm working pretty hard towards passing the BCMSN in August, and planning on pushing forward for the ISCW and the ONT sometime this year. WTF??
    They usually still offer it for a period of time after introducing a new version.

Any chance you can trim that signature a bit? :P
  • jrs91jrs91 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□

I wouldn't worry about it. The CCIE exam is changing in October but it was announced a while ago. I'm guessing that you'll probably have 4-6 months from the time they announce it to finish your CCNP. That's plenty of time.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The last time they announced changes was in July 2006 and the current exams were still available until the end of 2006 (giving you 4 months to pass the exam you were working on at the time). They also had a mix and match matrix for the exams as far as what old exams and what new exams you could use for the certification. Cisco seems to be on a 3 year rotation with the updates to the CCNP track so I would guess another one is due soon.
    The only easy day was yesterday!