Lack of Motivation

k.networkingk.networking Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I want to take Network+ 2009 exam soon.

I have been struggling to study hard for the exam. I feel depressed, I feel frustrated. I feel like I don't have any motivation to study for the exam.

I have been good at academics almost all my life. I graduated from the collage with good GPA. I have been hunting for the job for last six months. but no luck yet. Without certifications, it looks hard to me to get the job. Is is so?I feel like I am no where. I feel like whatever I have studied in the college is all in vain if it does not help me getting a job. My husband and I have arguments all the time about me not being able to study/ not getting a job. It's like whenever we have sometime to spend together, we will fight over this only.

Could somebody please guide me how to start studying for this exam? I have to take 2009 version only now. Which study material would be better to use? I am really confused about study material as well. I have Network+ Exam Cram by Mike Harwood and Drew Bird for N10-003. I don't think it will be sufficient for 2009 version.

Sorry for the long post. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks again,
K

Comments

• buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone,

I have been struggling to study hard for the exam. I feel depressed, I feel frustrated. I feel like I don't have any motivation to study for the exam.

I have been good at academics almost all my life. I graduated from the collage with good GPA. I have been hunting for the job for last six months. but no luck yet. Without certifications, it looks hard to me to get the job. Is is so?I feel like I am no where. I feel like whatever I have studied in the college is all in vain if it does not help me getting a job. My husband and I have arguments all the time about me not being able to study/ not getting a job. It's like whenever we have sometime to spend together, we will fight over this only.

Could somebody please guide me how to start studying for this exam? I have to take 2009 version only now. Which study material would be better to use? I am really confused about study material as well. I have Network+ Exam Cram by Mike Harwood and Drew Bird for N10-003. I don't think it will be sufficient for 2009 version.

Thanks again,
    K

One thing that has helped me when I am dragging my feet on studying and taking a cert is go sign up for the test. Once you do this you know you have to take it by a certain date so you force yourself to start studying and make time for it. You don't want to waste your money so you do what it takes to be ready for it. As far as materials you can start here on this site: Network+ study guides, practice exams, training resources, and forums (They have some guides and some practice tests. I would recommend getting a book Amazon.com: Network + . Also setup a home network to test things out on if you don't already have one.

Good Luck!
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Agreed - without a date/goal, it's really hard for me to focus & get to it. My motivation is kinda shot right now in general, and I'm suffering from some burn out, but after a couple weeks off I think I'm ready to get back in the game. As soon as I can really make a decision on what test I'm doing next, I'm going to schedule that sucker and that will be the surefire way to get my booty in gear. Plus, if you approach the scheduled test date and find you're not quite ready, you can always reschedule if you want, so there's little risk involved.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks again,
    K

You have the goods but because of burn out the timing is off. You will pass this test. Sometimes its best to take a step back though and refuel. I would suggest you take a month out of your study regime just to get some focus and concentrate on other things in your life for a while. That will soon get the batteries recharged. Give yourself a target of starting studying in 4 weeks time. Takes the pressure off and gives you plenty of time not only to refuel but find the right materials.

Good luck!
  • k.networkingk.networking Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks much everyone for all your suggestions.

After reading the replies, I also feel that I need to sign up for the test first as I really don't want to waste money especially when I don't cotribute anything at home in terms of money. So pressure will be ON the day I will sign up for the test.

Taking time off is really a good idea. I am planning to do that too very soon and after that the very first thing I will do is to schedule the test.

I was hesitant to post my problem here- But now after reading all the replies, I am glad I did it. I am greatful to all of you for your kind words and directions.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Regards
    K
  • clikcspeedclikcspeed Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't worry mate, I was in a simillar position last year, when I started, but now I'm all good - I use TestOut software for training and I've been working alone otherwise. I use forums alot, great resources and wonderful people who are always ready to help out and to motivate. I am taking the N10-003 tomorrow.

Once you get your first certification, you become hungry for more.... Don't lose hope
    -clikc-
  • nagennagen Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks again,
    K
    sorry it's your personal matter, but your husband should encourage and motivate you; not fight about stuff! you need cool and calm mind for studies. Moreover he is responsible to take care of yourself not vice versa. I hope you don't mind.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hmm, seems we are taking the slippery slope of being Marriage Counselors icon_rolleyes.gif I agree with what Nagen said (At least what I think I deciphered from his comment, Him taking care of you not vice-a-versa? Anyhow...). Now that I have gotten that over with (fear and trepidation) icon_pale.gif Ahem, the best way to make yourself study is as other have said, to pay for the exam, that way you have to take it.

My Wife has always been better at studying for things and I have always been a little more lazy about it.

In the end you have to make yourself do it. Buy several books on the topic. My method is to get a thorough book and an ExamCram2 book. This give a broad and targeted overview of the topic. Just learn the topic inside out, use proprofs.com, and TechExams for practice studying.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    clikcspeed wrote: »
    Once you get your first certification, you become hungry for more.... Don't lose hope

Quite right. Net+ was the first one I passed. It took me a year of studying on and off to get my first cert, thinking back on it, I am not even sure why anymore. I guess just being afraid of the unknown, and not knowing if I'm ready or not.. but now that I have passed a few, I see it's no big deal. Since then subsequent certs have been earned in 1 or 2 months of studying.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the job version of the chicken/egg: no job without expirence, no expirence cuz u cant get a job. happens to many, so dont feel bad or alone. must say this board is pretty nice... good advice, helpful folks.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!