Options

MCSE elective - A+, Net+ or both?

lespaulman74lespaulman74 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im a little confused, I know MS counts CompTIA certs as elective credit. My questions are:

1. For MCSE 03 - do I need to take BOTH - A+ and Net+ for it to count ONE elective. Meaning I would still need to take say, SQL or Exchange, etc to complete MS requirement of 2 elective?

2. Or does A+ and Net+ count as TWO electives for MCSE - thereby completing their 2 elective requirement?

3. Anyone know if MS accept Linux+ as one of their elective?

Im sorry, but the MS link on the MCSE elective desc only takes you to the CompTIA website - no mention of which certs u get credit for.

Comments

• Options
    Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    A+ and Net+ count as one elective for the MCSE, even though it's not stated on the MS website. Make sure that if you do get both of them, you publish them over to MS in order for you to get credit for it.
  • Options
    lespaulman74lespaulman74 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks agent, I just read somewhere that if you take the Security+ you can get credit for MCSE/MCSA - one exam instead of two (A+/Net+)
  • Options
    TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    Last thing I knew, A+ and Net+ count for MCSA not MCSE. Security+ counts as elective for MCSE. Maybe MS changed it, but I didn't think so.
    Taking 70-294 very soon...again
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Multiple posts here have confirmed that people are using A+ and Network+ as their MCSE elective. It seems that Microsoft has changed the requirements or something.

Examples:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2003-general/44703-mcse-done.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2003-general/41837-mcse-w-net-combo-says-microsoft.html
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Given the cost of CompTIA exams, I'm not sure why anyone would want to do 2x just to fill the requirement of an MS elective.
    Going for Exchange, SQL, ISA etc. instead would provide a skillset on a particular subject that can be applied on the job.

But maybe I have it all wrong. I don't think anyone really acknowledges CompTIA certs in Australia.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The reason I pursued the CompTIA certs is because employers here in America are really big on A+ and Network+. I always see job listings that require these. Plus they're lifetime certs that don't ever expire.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    The reason I pursued the CompTIA certs is because employers here in America are really big on A+ and Network+. I always see job listings that require these. Plus they're lifetime certs that don't ever expire.
    Really? I've seen A+ required, and I've seen that the knowledge certified by Network+ has been required, but I haven't seen Network+ itself is required in any job listings.

Anywho, back to the original question...it seems that MS is being a bit more mysterious about what counts towards what when it comes to outside vendor certifications. Not sure why, but it would be nice to get a concrete answer.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    Thanks agent, I just read somewhere that if you take the Security+ you can get credit for MCSE/MCSA - one exam instead of two (A+/Net+)

Actually it would be 3 tests since A+ requires two test to complete. I think you might get more out of taking a Microsoft elective, instead of the more broad Comptia test.

Also, Microsoft will not accept the Linux+ cert as an elective. Microsoft has hard enough time just accepting Linux itself! ;)