Looking for Accredited Online Universities!

13»

Comments

• lnsomnialnsomnia Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Getting back on topic:

I currently am attending the University of Phoenix. I just started last year and have no plans on finishing up my Bachelors of Science in Information Technology within 4 years. In fact my counselor told me I have to finish it in 7 years. So, I'm on the 7 year plan. I am currently 33 years old and will graduate with my BSIT when I'm 40 years old. I have no problem with this because I am happy where I am at, I make excellent wages for my networking gig.

My employer pays for $3000 of my schooling every year. Each class I take at UoP costs me about $1600, which is freaking crazy. That allows me to take 2 classes a year. Well, I need about 23 classes to finish my degree. So I'm gonna have to spend some of my own moolah over these next 7 years.

I have recently found another online university that I just happen to come accross when I was searching for IT training at Global Knowledge. Baker University offers full online classes for a BBIS degree. With a concentration in whatever field you want, security, networking, database, etc. The price for this is about $900 per class compared to UoP. I'm seriously thinking of switching to this other university. And they also can use any IT certifications as credit for their classes which helps me out considerably since I have a few.

I too have thought about, "what will an employer think if they see I went to the University of Phoenix???". I basically told myself that the employer can go f*** themselves if they don't want me because of where I went to school. But it also does limit me to where I can work if it really is a big deal to some employers. So graduating from Baker University will have it's perks just because they aren't a widely known online college, and they do have B&M campuses. Your employers don't need to know you took all online classes.
  • dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lnsomnia wrote: »
    Getting back on topic:
    I have recently found another online university that I just happen to come accross when I was searching for IT training at Global Knowledge. Baker University offers full online classes for a BBIS degree. With a concentration in whatever field you want, security, networking, database, etc. The price for this is about $900 per class compared to UoP. I'm seriously thinking of switching to this other university. And they also can use any IT certifications as credit for their classes which helps me out considerably since I have a few.

Insomnia, do you mean Baker College based out of Michigan? If so feel free to im any questions. Their B&M classes were top notch.
  • alathea_squaredalathea_squared Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not always, though. I watched my wife and I's 170 year old B&M Alma Mater dissolve last year after the 'for profit' outfit that tried to buy them and incorporate 'almost' had accreditation until someone did some homework on their other ventures around the country (where they gutted the on campus experience and transitioned it to an almost completely online scheme). It was heart wrenching, but im glad that the INC. got tanked. Id rather see Dana die than become an "oh, you graduated from THAT school" campus.

I finished my 2nd undergrad at Doane in Nebraska, on their Lincoln commuter campus. 9 week mods, accelerated, instead of the traditional semester. The flip side was it was 4 hours a night, 3 nights a week, for about 3 years + work and family. Yikes! I did great, but id like to avoid that much time away from my family for an MS. My BS and the Army used up my line of credit where my wife and kids are concerned. icon_smile.gif

I have no issues with online, though, provided their motivations are pure. Im looking at WGU and some others now and evaluating my options.
    eMeS wrote: »
    Although it seems to have become a tad personal, I can definitely see merit in both sides of this discussion which is fundamentally a debt vs. no debt discussion.

Accreditation

1. Every school hiding behind this "we're accredited" nonsense is dis-ingenious. Any school that wants to can achieve accreditation. Read about accreditation in the United States, it's really a mess and tells you very little about the quality of the school.

MS