getting set up for 70-290

ShelpdoggShelpdogg Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok....just passed the 70-270 and now getting ready for the 70-290 exam. I have looked at many of the threads that say the MS book and the Sybex or ExamCram are the best to get.....so I'm looking at those.
Just to be sure I'm getting the right books...
Amazon.com: MCSA/MCSE: Windows Server 2003 Environment Management and Maintenance Study Guide: Exam 70-290: Lisa Donald, James Chellis: Books
and
Amazon.com: MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-290): Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server(TM) 2003 Environment, Second Edition: Dan Holme, Orin Thomas: Books

I may see how I progress with these and the CBT's and Technotes before I get the Transcender.

That should be a good start I think...........opinions?
Working on MCITP:SA .....70-640 at the moment.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I used the MS Press book + TestOut + virtual machines for practice, and that seemed to work out fine for me. Both the MS Press book & TestOut videos are pretty dry tho. I haven't used it myself, but the Sybex book gets great reviews.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • ShelpdoggShelpdogg Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    oh yeah...forgot to say I have virtual environments set up at home as well.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson
  • mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Speaking of which.. about how much do you guys spend on test preparation??? I've been getting by with just the books and their practice exams. I've never used CBT nuggets or transcender, about how expensive are they for study materials? or do you guys just pirate their stuff? Because I'm perfectly ok with that too :)
    XBox Live: xGetDownNoobx
    Working towards 70-291 and CCNA
    Future Goals (In this order):CCNA, MCSA, CCNP, MCITP:EA, CEH

"Consider yourselves lucky I'm not after your gully holes..."
  • ShelpdoggShelpdogg Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Speaking of which.. about how much do you guys spend on test preparation??? I've been getting by with just the books and their practice exams. I've never used CBT nuggets or transcender, about how expensive are they for study materials? or do you guys just pirate their stuff? Because I'm perfectly ok with that too :)

for the last test I used the MS Training kit measure up test, MS Resource Kit, XP Fast Pass from Sybex and technotes......that's it.

The transcenders are not cheap......$99 for the CD and $69 for the 30 access. I'll get it if I feel that the others aren't sinking in like they should.....but I had no problem passing with what I had.