CCNP Lab

SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
So I'm purchasing my actual lab. This will also be geared toward the CCIE R&S once I'm done with the CCNP after a very short break. Anyway, my question is this;

I just purchased a lot of equipment, some with listed specs, some without. What are the best commands to find out info like memory amounts, (like flash and DRAM) and IOS version. I know the Show Version command works pretty well to see what IOS is running, are there any others you guys use? What about the memory? Also, how can I tell what switches and routers can have what IOS installed and what are the latest releases? For instance I know 2610 cant have the latest IOS installed (12.4.25a I believe it is), but the 2610XM can. From what I can tell, the only difference between the 2610 and the 2610XM is the memory (flash and DRAM) is more on the 2610XM (I think the xm stands for eXtended Memory, right?). So couldnt I just install more flash and DRAM on the 2610 and then be able to install the latest IOS?

I have an idea on most of these questions, but I dont want to miss anything. I thought it better to ask and see if anyone else had any new suggestions I hadnt thought of. Plus someone else may want to know the answer period. Thanks for your help in advance :)
In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Start with this for hardware comparisons:

CCNP Lab Series ? Master Links | NetworkWorld.com Community

It has great info.

The commands you want are mainly sh ver and sh flash. Also, I don't think it's just memory that makes the XMs better, I think they have better CPUs and hardware, ethernet vs fastethernet for one thing.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I just purchased a lot of equipment, some with listed specs, some without. What are the best commands to find out info like memory amounts, (like flash and DRAM) and IOS version. I know the Show Version command works pretty well to see what IOS is running, are there any others you guys use? What about the memory?
    show version
    show diag
    show inventory
    Also, how can I tell what switches and routers can have what IOS installed and what are the latest releases?
    Go to cisco.com and look at the download area. Even without a SMARTnet contract associated with your account, it should still let you see what versions are available for a specific router.
    For instance I know 2610 cant have the latest IOS installed (12.4.25a I believe it is)
    You can squeeze on 12.4 onto a 2600 series but it will most probably need to be T FTP booted because of lack of flash. It will be unstable as well due to lack of RAM. The larger feature sets won't load at all.
    but the 2610XM can. From what I can tell, the only difference between the 2610 and the 2610XM is the memory (flash and DRAM) is more on the 2610XM (I think the xm stands for eXtended Memory, right?).
    More Flash. More RAM. FE ports on all models. Slightly higher PPS rating.
    So couldnt I just install more flash and DRAM on the 2610 and then be able to install the latest IOS?
    No. It doesn't support extra RAM or flash past its stated limits. The hardware just doesn't support it. If you want to run 12.4 reliably without T FTP booting then you'll need a 1700 or a 2600XM or better.

If you want 12.4T for CCIE then you'll need a 2600XM, 3600 or 3700 at minimum. They stopped releasing T train releases for those routers after 12.4.15T however. If you want anything newer in the T train then you'll need something that is currently being produced like a 1841, 2800 or 3800.
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    These are all great answers, some new, some verification. I appreciate it. I'll check out the lab series, looks pretty interesting so far.

1800, 2800 and 3800 are all out of price range unfortunately for this lab. Does anyone have these models in their lab and have you realized any advantage over having the older 1700, 2600, and 3600 models (including xm, I now currently have 2 XM models)?

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1800, 2800 and 3800 are all out of price range unfortunately for this lab. Does anyone have these models in their lab and have you realized any advantage over having the older 1700, 2600, and 3600 models (including xm, I now currently have 2 XM models)?

Not for the CCNP or RS CCIE track, but you would need at least 1 of them if you wanted to work with IOS SSL VPN.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    Which would be the most feasible for a home lab?

Which would be the most feasible for a home lab?
    Feasible for what exactly?

If you want a reasonably cheap CCNP lab then get a bunch of 2600XMs, a couple 2950s and a 3550 with EMI. All of them will be useful for CCIE. You can run MPLS with the correct 12.3 2600XM IOS or you can just try dynamips.

Your signature is bigger than most peoples entire post. Can you shorten it or something?
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Here is what I am looking at doing for my CCNP lab. I already have the switches and one of the 3460s. I plan on selling it when I am done with the cert.

1 x 3550
    2 x 2950
    3 x 3460
    1 x 2610xm
    1 x 2600
    1 x 2509
  • jrs91jrs91 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Meh, I'm just using dynamips and 4 3350s. I can load any ios I want. I have 2 7 port USB hubs and a bunch of usb nics to connect the routers to the switches. 4 switches is enough noise for me, and at least for the CCNP stuff, I'm thankful that I can leave them off most of the time.
  • killuah72killuah72 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey I'm planning to build my own lab soon as well.

I'm thinking about going the 3-4 switch, 4 router route. Most likely I will be getting three 2610XMs (one 4-serial, two 2-serial modules) and use my old 2501 from my CCNA lab.

For L2 switches, I'm planning to get 2 x 2950 with standard image. For L3 switching, can I get by with 1 x 3550 or do I need 2?

And are these guys the same:
    WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI with EMI
    and
    WS-C3550-24PWR-EMI

Am I in the right track in setting up a good CCNP Lab?
  • killuah72killuah72 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Quick update on my lab:

I changed my mind on going with 3 2610xms. Now I'm going for 1 2610xm and 3 3640s.

I have a question on the 3640. I was looking at the 3640s they have on ebay and I noticed that some of them has a 12.4 IOS but with only 64D/16F. Is there a reason why so many people are recommending 128D/32F if 64D/16F can run 12.4 IOS?

Thanks
    There are some 12.4 trains that do not require 128/32, but they will be lacking some features that will be in the Adv. Enterprise one. You will most likely want to upgrade to 128/64 and keep this in mind: you will spend nearly as much upgrading from 32/8 as you will from 64/16. My thoughts is either purchase bare bones or go all the way. If you get something in the middle, then you will most likely spend more money on it in the long run.

CablesAndKits.Com has bare bones 3640s w/o faceplate for $40 + shipping.
  • qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    here's an idea of what your lab could look like, this took me a while to put together but
    i love it! this is not for the feint of heart...you will burn through your savings...you don't have to but i like the feel of real equipment...i love GNS3 also :D

http://prj.tehcorner.com/cisco.juniper/no_cab.jpg

If you have the $$ to spend invest, it'll take you a long way...

Equip list:
    2x 3550
    3x 2950
    4x 2514
    1x 2511
    1x 2522
    2x 2611XM
    3x juniper j2300
    4x 3640
    1x 6509
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    jrs91 wrote: »
    Meh, I'm just using dynamips and 4 3350s. I can load any ios I want. I have 2 7 port USB hubs and a bunch of usb nics to connect the routers to the switches. 4 switches is enough noise for me, and at least for the CCNP stuff, I'm thankful that I can leave them off most of the time.

very true. Real equipment is good and all, but at the CCIE lab level, the only real equipment things you would be doing is cabling and if you are taking your CCIE lab then you probably already know how to cable up some devices. For me, I will be buying at least one quad core workstation loaded with ubuntu, then tie in 4 real switches using dynamips and setup my quad core workstation with "gotomypc". That way I can access my lab anytime, anywhere via their webpage. No need for rack time. And you save about 10 grand in routers that you can emulate with dynamips. Oh, and if you have any doubts about dynamips and using it to prep for your CCIE R&S lab, may i present you with the following webpage:

7200emu.hacki.at :: View Forum - CCIE thanks to dynamips

Good luck with all your studies!
  • qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i love dynamips when I am on the road...
    Oh, and if you have any doubts about dynamips and using it to prep for your CCIE R&S lab, may i present you with the following webpage:

This is why I have not purchased the rest of the routers for my lab. I have been debating this. Spending some money upgrading my lab PC would be a-lot easier and cheaper. thinking....
  • sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    If you are going to get 3640 routers, make sure you actually get 3640's and not 3640A routers. With the 3640As, you get less features on MPLS.
  • jrs91jrs91 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    very true. Real equipment is good and all, but at the CCIE lab level, the only real equipment things you would be doing is cabling and if you are taking your CCIE lab then you probably already know how to cable up some devices. For me, I will be buying at least one quad core workstation loaded with ubuntu, then tie in 4 real switches using dynamips and setup my quad core workstation with "gotomypc". That way I can access my lab anytime, anywhere via their webpage. No need for rack time. And you save about 10 grand in routers that you can emulate with dynamips. Oh, and if you have any doubts about dynamips and using it to prep for your CCIE R&S lab, may i present you with the following webpage:

7200emu.hacki.at :: View Forum - CCIE thanks to dynamips

Good luck with all your studies!

The only thing with dynamips is that you might need to screw around to find the right IOS version. I have an ios for the 2600xm that causes my serial links to flap in unpredictable ways, especially when a routing protocol is being used. The first time this happened, I was baffled. I had read that high cpu could cause this, but I have a quad core, tons of memory, and my cpu util. was low. Right now i'm just doing everything with the 7200 adv. enterprise and i'm having no problems. I'll have to find a lower fat ios that works well for CCIE lab prep.

Regarding the CCIE, my understanding was that there wasn't even any cabling to do. Am I wrong?
    I am almost finished building my lab. Here's what's currently in it;

4 x 2610s
    1 x 2610XM
    1 x 2620XM
    1 x 3640
    1 x 3620
    3 x 2950s
    2 x 3550s
    1 x 2511 (16 port access server)

Now I'm just maxing them out on memory for those that are necessary, buying modules, cables, etc. I also need a rack, so i'm pricing those out as well. I may buy one or two more routers, but for now, i'm done with the CCNP/CCIE lab. What do you guys think, adequate for both? What will I be missing and what else should I consider purchasing?

For the 2610s, I've discovered I wont be able to perform IVR with the ROAS configuration with the Ethernet ports. I would like to start purchasing modules and memory as they are all quite deficient on both ends. I've got the memory covered and as far as modules for serial interfaces, I'm pretty sure I know what I want as well. What i'm not sure on is the FE ports. What modules can I purchase for 2610s that have at least one FE port?

Look for a network module with "FE" in it's name like NM-1FE2W.
    Thanks Cyanic. Another question about the lab. I am now seriously purchasing the WIC Serial modules and I've really no idea which I should purchase for connecting these routers together. For the BSCI I used GNS3 for everything, so cabling was a breeze! I'd like to have at least 2 serial interfaces and 1 FE interface for each router except the 3620, which will be used as a FR switch. So i'll probably buy a 4 port serial NM for that. My question is, I've purchased 1 WIC 1T and one WIC 2T. Which one is going to work best for connecting router to router and for the WIC 2T, which cables can I buy to connect to another router with a WIC 2T?

Cyanic wrote: »
    Look for a network module with "FE" in it's name like NM-1FE2W.
    FE NMs aren't officially supported in 2600XM routers. It may work and it may not. It all depends on the revision of the router board and the actual NM itself. Some people have had success with using them and others haven't. I have no idea if they work at all in a regular 2600. Basically, you're on your own for this :P

Combo NMs like the ethernet + WICs ones aren't supported at all. They aren't recognised by a 2600/2600XM.
    I'd like to have at least 2 serial interfaces and 1 FE interface for each router except the 3620, which will be used as a FR switch.
    The FE NMs should work in the 3600. Not 100% sure about the 3620 since that was an odd model which has limited support for certain things. As per my previous post, it is uncertain whether they'll work in a 2600XM or 2600.
    My question is, I've purchased 1 WIC 1T and one WIC 2T. Which one is going to work best for connecting router to router and for the WIC 2T, which cables can I buy to connect to another router with a WIC 2T?
    They're basically the same in regards to serial links. The WIC-1T will give you 1 async/sync serial port and uses a DB60 connector. The WIC-2T will give you 2 async/sync serial ports and uses small SmartSerial connector.

You can buy cables with a DB60 or SS plug on either end. Decide what combinations you want/need and work out which end will be DCE and which will be DTE.
    I would like to go with WIC 2Ts across the board. The problem is I dont see any cables that are Smart Serial on both ends. Does this exist? If not, how should I proceed? I know there are db60 to db60 cables out there. But I would rather be able to buy the 2 ports all in one shot, seeing as they are about the same price on ebay as the 1Ts.

The problem is I dont see any cables that are Smart Serial on both ends. Does this exist?
    Yes. They exist.

The 4 port serial NM aka NM-4A/S has DB60 connectors so you'll have to get some SS-DB60 cables as well.
    You're awesome, thanks. I did a search but didnt come up with anything. I would love to get them from monoprice.com for once because it's really cheap and for two because it's local and I can pick them up. I also need 2 octal cables for the 2511, which they do have. 24 bucks a piece, phew!

tiersten wrote: »
    Combo NMs like the ethernet + WICs ones aren't supported at all. They aren't recognised by a 2600/2600XM.

I did not know this. Sorry about steering you in the wrong direction SysAdmin. I have been focusing on the 3640 and haven't studied up much on the 2600/2600xm.
    Cyanic wrote: »
    I did not know this. Sorry about steering you in the wrong direction SysAdmin. I have been focusing on the 3640 and haven't studied up much on the 2600/2600xm.
    What is officially supported and what actually works aren't quite the same. Cisco don't support the FE NMs in a 2600XM but apparently it does work if you get the right NM and router revisions. In the case of the combo NMs, I've not heard of anybody getting any of them to even be recognised by the 2600 IOS.

I don't see any hardware limitations that would prevent any of these old NMs from working apart from possibly lack of bus throughput. The limitation are actually within IOS. The NM bus is actually PCI but with some extra parts added to it.