MS in computer science resume question?

walid97walid97 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am pursuing my MS in Computer Science.. Too bad this MS is general comp science, without any emphasis..

In fact, what I want is a networking career, and for this reason, I am taking many hardware and networking courses.
My question concerns that I include in my resume when I get it, can I add: "emphasis in hardware and networking" ? (it is not official) and list the hardware and networking courses I took?

I just want to show in my resume that my I want to pursue a networking career and I don't want to apply for another MS in networking (too late now).

any advices.
thanks

Comments

• dmafteidmaftei Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    List hardware and networking as your areas of interest. I don't think there is such a thing as a "MS in networking".
    BSEE, MSCS
    www.maftei.net
  • indyindy Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You see there does exists degree in networks
    more often termed as
    MS in Internetworks

With your Resume what you can do is

Write MS comp Sci then write in your interests
    networks , security etc ... whatever it is

if you have some work ex good if not then dont worry cos you still have a MS ,, hone your programming skills like socket programming or TCP/Ip progaming that will improve your understanding of the basics and give you a good base later you can move on to network security if you want or stick to networks ..

So Dont worry you have a pretty good chance..

All the Best
    i
    "I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life. To put to rout all that was not life, and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived."
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    You're referring to a Masters Degree, right? If you are, and you've got one, you shouldn't have a problem finding a networking job. If you're afraid you will, just pick up a few networking certifications and you'll be just fine.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    how you create your resume really depends on the trends on the implementation in your environment. mostly there is no specific job in networking unless you r planning to apply to provider/cosultant - or any company having branches. if not, you should pay attention to application development section -> like visual basic, c++, delphi etc. :D
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • walid97walid97 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    /usr wrote:
    You're referring to a Masters Degree, right? If you are, and you've got one, you shouldn't have a problem finding a networking job. If you're afraid you will, just pick up a few networking certifications and you'll be just fine.

Thanks /usr, yes I am referring to a Masters Degree, but not in networking, but in Computer Science.
    What I am scared of, is that employers would prefer a networking degree for a networking job rather than a Computer Science Masters degree. I hope I am wrong ! what do u think ?

Thanks.