Certifications Pay off BIG!

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ok, I had a great Job in the Auto industry, we all know the status of that sector, left before the ship sank (it did sink) went to another manufacturing company that turned out to be a rathole, bad equipment, managment, practices etc.

Now it looks like I have a very promising prospect (completed three interviews with flying colors) at a great company with the latest and greatest equipment and plenty of budget; but the point here is from what I gathered in the interviews, is this company is a believer in certs and thats most likely what got my resume noticed.

Just a little encouragment to everyone here to keep plugging away.

Comments

• coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    Ok, I had a great Job in the Auto industry, we all know the status of that sector, left before the ship sank (it did sink) went to another manufacturing company that turned out to be a rathole, bad equipment, managment, practices etc.

Now it looks like I have a very promising prospect (completed three interviews with flying colors) at a great company with the latest and greatest equipment and plenty of budget; but the point here is from what I gathered in the interviews, is this company is a believer in certs and thats most likely what got my resume noticed.

Welcome to I.T. my friend, which is surprisingly doing well during this depression. But then again we never really recovered from the 2000 - 2001 .com bust but most the people who stuck through it since then are doing well.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    slinuxuzer wrote: »

Congrats and I sincerely hope it works out for you. The certs may have helped you to get noticed in the first place but the fact you've had three interviews means you know your stuff plus you have good soft skills too. Good luck!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    congrats, thats what i've been noticing of late as well...

its all fine and dandy to have experience but from a weeding out point of view...most won't even get the first interview if they don't have the correct certs listed. The second interview is where you wow them with your experience and knowledge, but without the right cert...you won't even get a first interview in alot of cases.
  • +CNENT++CNENT+ Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where I live, they won't even talk to you if you don't have A+. I applied for a different job a couple months ago, they told me that in a days time they had over 100 resumes submitted. That's why I'm sitting the net+ tomorrow. Need to get noticed out of all the hundreds of others applying, cause just a+ ain't gonna cut it anymore.
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    I must admit that my certs were a factor in the position I started this month. On the application they asked for a Diploma in IT. Then, as an asset qualification, they asked for certifications. My certifications placed me on a higher scoring grid and then I was hired.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    My certs and degree certainly got my foot into the door of where I work now. None of it has been a waste for me.
  • nielpeelnielpeel Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    True! My boss told me after hiring me that he wanted to have an MCP on the payroll, and I was the only candidate that had this qualification.

Plus, the technical test I had to sit covered lots of A+ and Network+ type stuff which I was familiar with answering, and he tells me I scored higher than the other guys.

Certs rule!
    "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice".

WIP: 70-284

Then: no more 2003 stuff, Win7 here we come!