Where Can I get Good workbook on VLSM/IPV6

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey cisco gurus. I have a great book on subnetting by Chris bryant. It is alike a work book
with hundreds of problems in subnetting. however where the heck can I get a good workbook on VLSM and IPV6. I do not want a FACT book. they are great but I NEED TO USE it. WHat I mean is I study better actually using these skills and to look at bit and byte charts is good if I can use it. I need to use IPV6 and VLSM where can I get some decent
premaind workbooks on these skills. Thanks...

Comments

• rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    plus 1, count me in that search.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I've been debating writing a book and publishing it on Lulu.com or something. Maybe this is my calling :)
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Personally i just make up scenarios. Like, i have this office that runs IPv4 and this office runs IPv6 lets make them talk.

Or take some random IP 10.1.16.0/24 and make 10 subnets but only 3 need 8 ip address and 2 need 2 or whatever and make it all work.

But this is me being cheap =)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    mikej412 wrote: »

wow.... that is really pricey.....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    miller811 wrote: »
    wow.... that is really pricey.....
    I would have suggested the NMC (NetMasterClass) Class On Demand for IPv6 -- but it doesn't appear to be offered anymore since NMC went all Cisco 360 Learning Program for CCIE Routing & Switching on us. That COD came with lab exercises. Of course, that was even more expensive.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @ mike

i've downloaded the TOC preview - looks like a promising book to study.
    thank you very much for the link.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    itdaddy wrote: »
    Hey cisco gurus. I have a great book on subnetting by Chris bryant. It is alike a work book
    with hundreds of problems in subnetting. however where the heck can I get a good workbook on VLSM and IPV6. I do not want a FACT book. they are great but I NEED TO USE it. WHat I mean is I study better actually using these skills and to look at bit and byte charts is good if I can use it. I need to use IPV6 and VLSM where can I get some decent
    premaind workbooks on these skills. Thanks...

itdaddy,

The problem with VLSM subnetting is that it's a big "it depends." It depends on actual or forecasted number of hosts for each specific subnet. Then you have number of subnets. Then you sort the subnets from biggest to smallest. Let's say subnet E has a need for 16 hosts and subnet C has a need for 16 hosts. Let's say you decide to sort the subnets putting subnet E above Subnet C for some reason. That's not really wrong. So right off the bat, there's at least three factors in coming up with _a_ correct answer VLSM subnetting solution which are: 1) # of subnets 2) # of hosts per subnet 3) which subnet order you decide to sort the subnets into. Unfortunately, that means the "workbook" part will effectively be blank pages of paper and there will not be "answers in the back of the book" because you can reach solutions that probably can't feasibly all be printed "In the back of the book." So I don't think it's probable for someone to publish a VLSM workbook.
  • jds1469jds1469 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where is a good place to read up on VLSM. I am currently in school learning about this right now and my professor is a ...., well lets just say he will not answer my questions or my classmates questions. Youtube is no help on this one... I am willing to buy a better book than the Cisco Routing Protocols and Concepts book that we have for the class. Any ideas are welcome.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dude
    I dont know either..I was forced to make up my own labs..that really helped. wish I could help but it is very hard..like this threads said read tech-airmans message he is correct. best to make up your own
  • jds1469jds1469 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The problem is that I don't have a good grasp on the subject yet. I'm sure I can't walk into a barns and noble and pick up a book VLSM subnetting. Any good websites to look up training on?
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with you on this...I watched cbt nuggets ICND1 and ICND2 and Jeremy teaches vlsm pretty good. I have a chart on my website that I used to make up my vlsm. You can check my sites out both of them explan vlsm basics and then from there I just built my own. I use cbt nuggets method on my sites.

ccnpitdaddy.wordpress.com
    itdaddy.wordpress.com

site is cheesy but I have lots of info them.good luck man you can do it
    icon_thumright.gif