A+ Exam Prep, Help!!

jmariejmarie Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone... It seems that so many of you are helpful so I hope that you can extend a little of that to me :) I am experienced but am working on my certifications (kicking myself for not doing it long ago!!). I'd like to earn my MCDST and A+ as soon as I can.

My question is: I took the practice exam for A+ (provided with Comptia A+ Certification Exam Guide, 6th Edition) and did very very well on it. Is the actual exam similar to the practice ones on the CD?? I'd hate to go in with a false sense of confidence and end up not doing so well...

Any thoughts and advice I will welcome. Thank you!!!!!

julie

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    The exam will cover the items that are listed on the objectives.

Due to the NDA no one will be allowed to provide you specifics, however, you will find sample questions on CompTIA's website that show you approximately what you will see and you will find the objectives there if you don't already have them.

The exam is not difficult. It is geared toward candidates with experience (approximately 500 hours worth) and it is basically common sense material.

If you are comfortable with the items listed on the objectives and you have read/reviewed a book or two (such as Meyers or Sybex) and the material seems easy, you could easily be ready.

If the material doesn't seem easy, set aside an hour or two a day and work through the objectives. Research the items you don't understand, post your questions in the forum and learn those areas you need more practice.

Good luck
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have not taken A+ test, but I have taken a class in college where the object was to teach us computer repair as well as prepare us for the A+ test. I would say if you have a decent grasp already you probably need no more than a month to prep for it.

Does anyone know if you still have to take both of the tests separately? Do you have to fork out money for them still separately?
  • jmariejmarie Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do apologize; I did not intend that anyone should give me answers to the test itself... I should have rephrased my question or thought. I was just wondering if anyone felt prepared with their studying (from the same book as I have).
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If I think we're reading the same book then yes I felt prepared but it turns out that I wasn't because I didn't study enough on certain parts in the book. I got hammered with the same subject matter that I didn't study well on the actual test and failed by five percent. The test is pretty much straight foward. I feel that if you know your stuff then there shouldn't been that much to worry about.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • jmariejmarie Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm just worried about being over confident. Last month I thought I was prepared for my MCDST but wasn't and I felt awful afterwards... And on the testing prep material I was given I did great. Hence the anxiety now...
    Just learn from your mistakes and try again. Try to make every failure motivation to do better. I honestly don't think that there is anything wrong with being over confident. It's just when things don't go the way that you want then to go it'll mess with your confidence to get things done but it's also a time where you can reflect on how you did things and what you can change. If you think you are ready, go for it. If you think you are ready but still a little nervous, put your foot down and tell yourself that you are gonna take the test a certain day.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • ServerProvidesServerProvides Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you're almost ready to take your test!

I would recap over all the main objectives and make sure that you're very confident in each one. (ExamCram makes good books for summarizing subject matter) After you feel like you're ready to take the exam I would look into finding/buying a few more practice exams from different sources so you get a good feel for the type of questions that will be asked on the test. Practice makes perfect!

If you don't get the cert. on the first try study hard and take it again in a week or two while the test is still fresh in your mind and you'll have a big advantage. Just remember to never get discouraged and keep moving forward.
    Currently Pursuing...

BS in Computer Science
  • adina005adina005 Banned Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are many online training available for CompTIA A+ certification. I have passed in CompTIA A+ exam. I have referred CompTIA A+ Certification Video Training . I have cleared CompTIA A+ exam in first attempt by using CompTIA A+ Certification Video Training.You can also refer CompTIA A+ Certification Video Training for your CompTIA A+ exam.

Adina Cannon
    adina005 wrote: »
    There are many online training available for CompTIA A+ certification. I have passed in CompTIA A+ exam. I have referred CompTIA A+ Certification Video Training . I have cleared CompTIA A+ exam in first attempt by using CompTIA A+ Certification Video Training.You can also refer CompTIA A+ Certification Video Training for your CompTIA A+ exam.

Adina Cannon

Congratulations on the pass :D
    Booya!!
  • LaosLadyLaosLady Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, Julie :)

Which A+ Exam version will you be taking? I see on the CompTIA site that there is a new 2009 version available that offers 2 exams to choose from as the 2nd part of the certificate.

When I took the exam last December, I took the 2006 version. This version gave me the option of choosing from three different exams as the 2nd part.

What worked for me was taking a dual bootcamp course for the A+ and Network+. Both books used for training were from Sybex which I really loved and would highly recommend.

For me, the A+ Essentials (1st exam) was a little more challenging than the 2nd part which was more concentrated in a limited area. From what I can remember about this exam...IRQ assignments, memory size/types, OSI layers, laser printing process, port numbers...made up the bulk of what was on the exam I took.

You sound like you know your stuff and I agree with the previous responses that it never hurts to be confident with what you know - just continue to study and you'll be alright.

Good luck on exam!
  • logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I read through the Mike Meyers essentials book, and the Exam cram practice questions. I also did all of the practice tests that came on the Cd's with the books. By time I took the test I felt like I had seen at least 80% of the question in some shape or form already.