DoD 8570.1

TILLMANIS2TILLMANIS2 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is anyone currently pursuing the DoD 8570.1 line of certifications?

Comments

• wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TILLMANIS2 wrote: »
    Is anyone currently pursuing the DoD 8570.1 line of certifications?

I haven't really been pursuing as I fell into the DoDD 8570.1. I see that you got the IAT I knocked out and you will have the same as me after you finish your Security+. I have thought about pursuing the higher certs and the way to go (at least IAT, IAM areas) would be complete CISSP. I may go for some of them in the CND area I am just not sure about the CISSP. It seems to me like once you get it you kind of devote a huge amount of time to maintaining it and the IAM/IAPM/etc type jobs don't appeal to me to much (oh the mounds of paperwork) and I don't really want to be that devoted to that right now.

As a last note from the DoD 8570.01-M. As of calendar year 2010 “All IAT and IAM Category positions are held by certified personnel.”
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yup, I just started pursuing it as well, i kinda fell into it. its not exactly a dream job, but like most people, i do it to pay the bills. IA is hitting DoD pretty strong, and its traditionally not so easy to outsource positions that require a clearance so it has some job security. the only thing i can see happening is that, as an IAT, as you probably already have noticed, you do all the work and others take credit for it. THe IAMs i know do a lot of paperwork, and im not exactly looking forward to that as im a hands on technician. thus pursuing mcse and im sure cissp and a degree will help show a well rounded person that not only talks about doing things, but does it
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • TILLMANIS2TILLMANIS2 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good...so I'm not the only one going crazy trying to get all of these certs.....LOL
  • thomAZthomAZ Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Got my Net+ because of 8570. Taking security + thursday with voucher I got from the AFCA.
    In Progress: Currently enrolled in WGU: Studying for Net+

Degree: A.A.S Electronic Systems Technology
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I started 2 when I was in because it was required. But honestly they give you good theory, but no real job skills.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • thomAZthomAZ Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah after my Sec+ I'm going to take my CCNA exam then I'm going to focus on the voice track and see where that takes me.
    In Progress: Currently enrolled in WGU: Studying for Net+

Degree: A.A.S Electronic Systems Technology
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    seems after looking through the 8570.1 and giving my local IAM a call, i will need certs for the operating systems i use too, ie xp+server2003. yey. anyone in DoD know if Vista is used on DoD networks? I know i was in a base beta testing windows7, but from all ive heard they skipped vista. aint playin with gold disk and retina great?!?! /ducks
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lamini wrote: »
    seems after looking through the 8570.1 and giving my local IAM a call, i will need certs for the operating systems i use too, ie xp+server2003. yey. anyone in DoD know if Vista is used on DoD networks? I know i was in a base beta testing windows7, but from all ive heard they skipped vista. aint playin with gold disk and retina great?!?! /ducks

The Army uses Vista.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
    Ashenwelt wrote: »
    The Army uses Vista.
    Well they are moving to it anyways.
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wastedtime wrote: »
    Well they are moving to it anyways.

Some parts already went from moving to moved:)
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    That figures, always about 5 years behind.
    That figures, always about 5 years behind.
    Think of it like this you have a business that is well into the millions of people and you need to upgrade the OS for all of the computers. Some factors you may want to consider:
    User training
    Hardware compatibility
    Software compatibility
    Hardening of the system
    Cost
  • pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interesting thread here since my IT career took a major leap when I went active duty. Of course, that was waaaay back in 1979. I had been working at a commercial bank as a mainframe operator at night and taking daytime college technical and business courses. I graduated with an associate in data processing (COBOL, FORTRAN, IBM Assembler, RPG & BASIC) then got a BBA degree and an AFROTC commission.

Uncle Sam sent me to HQ Electronic Systems Division at Hanscom AFB in Massachusetts and plunked me down in a Booz Allen office. They were designing and implementing the first USAF Automated Office (Project IMPACT). Mostly word processing equipment but some 10Base2 was installed.

I went TDY down to DARPA and worked with Dr. Vint Cerf to discuss adopting his creation (TCP/IP) as a DoD standard for the WIS Program (the upgrade for WWMCCS). Cerf's coworker, Dr. Robert Kahn, was one of my evaluators on a source selection I ran for a WIS subsystem contract.

Like I've told my civilian employers, I've literally walked among giants.