Who writes these job descriptions?

captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
Junior CISCO Network Engineer

Qualifications:
* Cisco Routers and Switching * CCIE Preferred
icon_lol.gif

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I guess they're ready to shell out $100-grand/year for an experienced professional to perform Junior-level tasks.

Whoever wrote that one should be fired immediately!
    That really looks bad on all of the organization's personnel. IMHO, of course.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Looks like an HR-weenie who obviously has no freakin clue.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That could be a Cisco Business Partner who can get an additional discount from Cisco if they add another CCIE.... but doesn't want to pay for a real CCIE.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Hah yeah. I also love job desciptions that say;

"A+ or MCSE preferred"

lol?
  • kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
    And the good 'ol
    "Must be MCSE or CCNA, MCP preferred"
    $9-$11 per hour depending
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    mikej412 wrote: »
    That could be a Cisco Business Partner who can get an additional discount from Cisco if they add another CCIE.... but doesn't want to pay for a real CCIE.

I've always wondered... just how much do you get off for a CCNA up to a CCIE?
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    sambuca69 wrote: »

CCNA $35,000
    CCNP $55,000
    CCIE $100K +

This is my completely useless anecdotal experience. Also I am pretty sure there are a lot of other variables depending on the exact case.
  • crazyboi8503crazyboi8503 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hate this...."Must have a bachelors degree related to IT or A+ cert"..."Pay $10-$14.. DOE" UGh dummies!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Seems to me that HR departments need to work IT managers more. Is it normal for HR not to work with IT managers?
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks like an HR-weenie who obviously has no freakin clue.

nahahhaha hahahaahhahah
    very true very true!

I have never seen Hr know anything! +1icon_thumright.gif

I hate this...."Must have a bachelors degree related to IT or A+ cert"..."Pay $10-$14.. DOE" UGh dummies!

I have seen that too it sucks you have a BS degree an you get paid crap..
    yep they are raisingthe bar and lowering the wages
    man like 10 years ago a BS degree would command 45 k coming out of college
    now it more like 35K
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Seems to me that HR departments need to work IT managers more. Is it normal for HR not to work with IT managers?

HR kinda does their own research based off the job description that IT writes(at least in my experience). IT manager's dont usually put in "requirements" as much as job functions and technologies used. HR does the rest.
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Even better found posted today on a favorite IT site, name withheld to protect the innocent:

"XXXXXXXX is holding an Open House for Level 1 and Level 2 Help Desk Analysts on Wednesday, July 22nd ....."

Now where did I leave that blasted time machine? icon_scratch.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's obvious -- one of the requirements for those positions is to anticipate and react to issues before they happen.

I'm sure all the people who met that unstated requirement did show up and got hired :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    apd123 wrote: »
    CCNA $35,000
    CCNP $55,000
    CCIE $100K +

This is my completely useless anecdotal experience. Also I am pretty sure there are a lot of other variables depending on the exact case.

Depends on location, but you don't find too many CCNPs making as low as $55k unless they have very little experience. I think $60k is the low end, with around $80k being the high end. It's all relative to experience though.

Edit: Just realized the original question was about discounts offered for levels of partnerships, about which I have no idea.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even better found posted today on a favorite IT site, name withheld to protect the innocent:

"XXXXXXXX is holding an Open House for Level 1 and Level 2 Help Desk Analysts on Wednesday, July 22nd ....."

lolz....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was checking out a job ad for a net admin and it asked for a MCSE or Network+.

Since when is a Network+ even close to a MCSE?

lol
  • tribe_menxtribe_menx Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I applied job position askin for A+ degree and MCP will be added adventage :)
    B.Science Information Systems
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    sambuca69 wrote: »

Number of combined certs your staff have denotes the level of membership to Cisco. You need so many of these and those to gain this level of membership along with how much you regularly buy.

A gold partner that buys a lot of kit form them can typically receive 50%-60% discount per item.
    Kam.