Taking 642-533 tomorrow

FattyAcidFattyAcid Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Scheduled to take the 642-533 (IPS) tomorrow which is the last exam I need for my CCSP.

Kind of worried about this due to lack of experience with IPS/IDS in general and zero real-world experience with Cisco IPS sensors. We have one 4215 at work, it was set up my a co-worker and it's production, so I haven't been able to use it.

I past the tests for the old curriculum (CCNA, SND 552, SNRS 503, HIPS 513, SNPA 523) in 2008, so this is my last barrier to CCSP certification.

What I used for studying on and off over the past several months:

* 33 hours on Rack 1 and 6 at Gigavelocity.com [inline VLAN groups never made sense until I did it on Rack 6--now it's very clear]
* CBT Nuggets videos
* Configuring IPS 4200 Series Sensors - Training Resources - Cisco Systems
* Cisco Press CCSP IPS Exam Certification Guide
* Implementing Cisco Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS) v5.0 Volume 1 & 2
* Cisco Learning Network Quick Learning Modules
* ru-x's IPS documents on Cisco Learning Network (poorly written but figuring them out made them educational!)
* Configuring the Cisco Intrusion Prevention System Sensor Using the Command Line Interface 6.0
* Installing and Using Cisco Intrusion Prevention System Device Manager 6.0

There are some things I'm definitely weak on but I wanted to give the exam a try anyway.

I'll update with my score tomorrow.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It sounds like you have it covered -- Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • FattyAcidFattyAcid Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh My! I scored a 1000/1000. Never had a perfect score on a Cisco exam.

The test was pretty easy given the 200-300 hours of studying I put in over the past several months.

There was one question where I am 95% sure all the answers were wrong. I memorized the question/answers because it so infuriated me and I've just spent the last 2 hours digging and I still think all the answers are wrong. Either I guessed the right (wrong) answer or it wasn't graded.

I only had to make an educated guess on one other question that seemingly had correct answers--now that I looked it up, I see I guessed right. Nice.

I'm not sure this will get by the moderators but here goes:

Read the scenarios in the simulations very carefully and do exactly what they say. They may ask you to configure something a certain way, but their certain way is actually not going to work if you spend the time to look through the entire configuration of the IPS sensor and the given topology. Very annoying!!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    FattyAcid wrote: »
    Read the scenarios in the simulations very carefully and do exactly what they say. They may ask you to configure something a certain way, but their certain way is actually not going to work if you spend the time to look through the entire configuration of the IPS sensor and the given topology. Very annoying!!
    They probably figure the people who know what they are doing for the tasks won't waste time poking through the other configuration screens -- and the people poking through the configuration screens looking for clues and "things that work" will find lots of "working" slop to plod through.

While it would be nice if the SIM interface was consistent and accurately reflected a real working configuration, your advice to "do exactly what they say" is good advice. I don't think you'll get moderated for posting that.

Did you try for extra credit by leaving a comment about what you noticed? icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • FattyAcidFattyAcid Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    rs
    Did you try for extra credit by leaving a comment about what you noticed? icon_lol.gif

Absolutely--I wrote a lengthy comment on that SIM and on about 2-3 question were the wrong answers were no longer wrong answers starting with new versions of IPS.

Now on to CCNA:Voice and CCVP.