What do you guys think of "salary history"??

Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
I see almost every add nowadays asking for Salary History and Salary Requirements to be listed.

Personally, i dont think its ANY of the companies business to know what i am or have made, because their only reason for it is to make sure they dont actually offer you any more money than they absolutely have to.

Do you guys give it if asked for it? Do you just list it on your resume? Do you think your chances for the job are diminished if you DONT list it?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the best advice I've heard is to just say that information is confidential and keep it to yourself. That might hurt you on occasion, but I think most people respect that. Plus, it helps prevent you from being low-balled (which is what I'm assuming you're concerned about).
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Precisely.

For instance, lets say that I make 50k a year right now and am perfectly happy at my job. I may decide that it would take 57k for me to leave...but with my salary history id probably be offered 50-52.

Just seems like nonsense for a company to expect this of someone.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd give out my salary expectations if asked (to make sure we're in the same ballpark), but no way would I share my salary history, that'd be nuts.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I usually give my salary history along with my salary requirements. Employers understand that a big reason for taking a new job is a lateral salary increase. The real question is are you worth what you are asking?
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Definitely keep the salary history under wraps. It is none of their business. The only number I'm ever willing to part with is what I am looking for. You'll run into a place here and there that will pitch a fit about it but most don't care too much.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    rsutton wrote: »
    The real question is are you worth what you are asking?

True, but my pay history isnt going to give any insight to that question for them. For all they know I was previously way underpaid and am lookign to make up some of the gap, but if they know i made much less they would use it to undercut me.

I dont give salary histories but just wondered what you guys thought. I will only give expectations if im in a face to face interview, but its usually the HR lackies that bug me on it.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    if they know i made much less they would use it to undercut me.
    That is precisely why they ask, been burned by that more than once. I probably won't divulge that information anymore.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd have to say when asked for your salary requirements or desired salary, I always put "negotiable" or "market rate".

Like dealing with a car dealer you NEVER disclose the fact you have a trade-in until AFTER you negotiate the best deal you can.

If a higher salary is the only reason you are willing to jump ship, then I'd be hesitant to hire that person, fearing they'll jump ship on me to get another couple of ticks on the salary scale.

With the poor job market right now don't assume you're in for any kind of match or increase if you jump ship. There are LOTS of highly qualified IT talent willing to underbid you.

We're not in the 1990s any more...
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    I'd give out my salary expectations if asked (to make sure we're in the same ballpark), but no way would I share my salary history, that'd be nuts.

I thought that was 'cos you couldn't possibly fit the continguous stream of zero's on a single sheet of A4 :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln