about to start school..and have questions

chevy454chevy454 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im about to start school next month on the 17th and i think i chose the wrong major i selected CS my question is computer science a mandatory degree to get for the IT field or will Information systems work i was told that computer science if for people thats into programming..if thats the case whats information technology?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's your CS program like? Most typically have a lot of math and programming.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The simple answer is that CS is certainly not a requirement to get into IT.

Also, don't go after something if you are going to hate it. If you don't like programming then CS is probably not for you.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Information systems is business and I.T put together. It is more of how computers can be used to help the business world. More practical and tech work than computer science.

veritas_libertas is correct. You do not need computer science to get into i.t or even to succeed in i.t and if you are gonna do something you hate, don't do it you will have a less chance of succeeding.

Finally computer science requires a lot of mathematics and programming.
  • chevy454chevy454 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so basically a CS degree is a programming degree and IS is everything? right or wrong? i will have my school program for CS tomorrow for you guys
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Actually it is not all programming and mathematics, however a great deal of computer science involves programming and mathematics. Just look at your course modules and it will say. It does contain other stuff such as hardware, networking, database actually it contains nearly every part of I.T but most of it is programming because computer science is mostly about theory. It is like finding out what computers can do and cannot do and how to develop it etc.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    CS usually encompasses a multi course set on programming, Calc 1-3, Discrete Math, Discrete Structures, and some other math. There are also alot of courses that deal with computation, thinking abstractly, and courses on operating systems and computer architecture. So like others have said there is a large math and programming component but it is certainly not the only compnent.
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shednik wrote: »
    CS usually encompasses a multi course set on programming, Calc 1-3, Discrete Math, Discrete Structures, and some other math. There are also alot of courses that deal with computation, thinking abstractly, and courses on operating systems and computer architecture. So like others have said there is a large math and programming component but it is certainly not the only compnent.

^^^shednik pretty much gave a good jist of what all is entelled in a CS degree. Programming and Mathematics are huge factors in this program. Make sure you know what you are getting into. If you don't want to do CS, I would say IS or BIS would be another avenue that doesnt require alot of math and programming
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're good at math, problem solving, logic, etc; or if you hate accounting, economics, business topics, then Computer Science might be a good fit. Otherwise, do the MIS degree or whatever they call it at your school.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...