How do you go about finding jobs on job sites?

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
Do you, like, have to upload a resume, and stuff?

Just kidding. I was curious if people typically had any luck by creating profiles and having people contact them directly, or if they took a more active approach and applied for the jobs listed on those sites.

I'm sure there's some of both happening; I'm just interested in your personal experiences. TIA.

Comments

• BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i've gotten calls from recruiters from my resume on job sites, and gone on interviews with the company they have as a client.....on the flip side, i've gotten 2 jobs from direct companies that posted on monster. i've had a few interviews from direct companies that posted on careerbuilder, and a couple of interviews from direct companies that have posted on craigslist.

i've also had interviews from applying from direct company sites, whether it be thru me findin them on indeed, or if i just so happened to think of the company and decide to look @ their site.....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    I have my resume posted(publicly) on Yahoo, CareerBuilder, and Monster. Out of those 3, I'd say CareerBuilder is the most popular.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I usually apply for jobs as they come in. I havent had any luck at all by posting my resume on the job boards (seek and my career to name a couple). Maybe it's just me. For all my 6 gigs so far, I have had recruiters call me when I apply for a job.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Past 3 jobs I got by applying though Craigslist. Before that it was applying VIA monster. Never had luck posting a resume.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    I tend to target specific roles advertised. I found in the past if I uploaded my resume I would receive calls for roles that were in no way suitable for me either different technologies to my cv or other reasons.
    This method isnt fool prrof, but if I target sepcific roles I ask for a job spec first and foremost I tend to get less calls asking me what kind of roles would I be interested in.

I actually have 3 rss feeds running that constantly feed me latest roles. I like to keep an eye on the markets that way I can get a feel for what's currently in demand and shape my skills to suit when needed.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    I do both, actively apply and post a profile with a CV

It works both ways but you get a lot of calls from agencies that clearly haven’t read your CV and have picked up on a key word, always get calls about DBA jobs because I have SQL on my CV and really pointless call from agencies that must be using a key word of "and" :D
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ive had luck posting with monster and dice, nothing off of CareerBuilder. But I tell ya, what I hate is as soon as it gets posted, I get those emails and calls that they I qualify for a job - and its someone looking for insurance sales, home sales, etc. I swear these vultures just wait in the wings for new resumes to show up, and contact everyone.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't, they always come to me baby! :D

OK well I do both but seem to have better response for roles I apply to myself. In 2000, I got a call for a TV repair job purely because I had the word 'electronic' within my degree title on the the CV I posted on Jobsite :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    rsutton wrote: »
    Past 3 jobs I got by applying though Craigslist. Before that it was applying VIA monster. Never had luck posting a resume.
    same here - got my last two jobs through Craigslist, never really had much luck with job sites. But I'm a relative newbie to the IT field, so the only calls I was getting were for low paying roving tech work or POS work for walmart, etc. Oh, and those "business opportunities" or emails from insurance companies or the like. Most of the traffic I saw from job sites was spam. icon_sad.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    So far I've done both, created a profile and actively searched and applied to jobs. Unfortunately for me, where I live there are no jobs and I'm sure where the jobs are there are plenty in the pool. I keep plugging as some day someone has to give me a chance, right? icon_scratch.gif

I have to agree with Bokeh, I'm about fed up with the calls, "We hosting a job seminar, would you be interested?" When I ask what the job is, it's insurance. NO THANKS!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've never had luck with searching actively and applying to postings.

Current job was a contact from my Monster profile.
    Previous job was a response to a newspaper want ad (I'd call this the exception to the rule these days, at least for a decent admin job).
    Job before that was through a contact at the college I attended.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • unx777unx777 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Absolutely!!!

In 2007, I switched jobs and used Monster to post my resume. I interviewed with a few different companies and removed my resume once I selected a position. Two years later I still get periodic email contacts with some of the same agencies I dealt with in 2007.

Linkedin is also a good place to search for jobs/get noticed by others. Indeed.com is a good job search engine.