I HATE paper MCPs

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
One guy (MCP of 2000 Pro and 2000 Server) had the balls to call me and asks how to change a user's password.

Well needless to say I said I am busy and told him to call his escalation guy who is actually our manager ...

I hope he doesn't "find" the answer on google and indeed calls him ...
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    seriously ??

how long has he been there ? how long do you give him ??
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    seriously ??

how long has he been there ?

4 weeks
    how long do you give him ??

4 weeks and one day ...

Fook knows how he got hired in the first place ..
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    He should really hit the books.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I think someone should hit HIM with a book. Geez, I can't believe there really is someone out there who's ever touched Server 2000/2003 for more than 3 minutes who doesn't know how to change passwords. There's at least a couple different ways to do it, and it boggles my mind that this guy doesn't know at least one of them. Wow. Um, wow.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    I think someone should hit HIM with a book. Geez, I can't believe there really is someone out there who's ever touched Server 2000/2003 for more than 3 minutes who doesn't know how to change passwords. There's at least a couple different ways to do it, and it boggles my mind that this guy doesn't know at least one of them. Wow. Um, wow.

Agreed!! Thats bonkers, how can you not know, especially when qualified? Ask him some more q's and find out what he does know! It might not take you too long!
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    I'd have fun with him, change his password! icon_lol.gif
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's just messed up
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • flurrballflurrball Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A couple months ago, I had a Win2k MCSE that took 4 hours to disable sleep mode on 3 computers.

Employees were asking me how they could get her fired, and get me hired (I was contract at the time)
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I see that just about every day icon_sad.gif
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    What even funnier is interviewing a paper MCSE. I nail them everytime.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    And he needs to lean about "The Google" from "The Interwebs." icon_lol.gif
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□

yea, he should have his head in a book 24/7...while he's @ work looking at the screen like thiscrash.gif

SMHicon_jokercolor.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ah, it turned out he resigned anyway so he leaves on Friday and is just taking the piss... I haven't even seen him before because I was on holiday when he got hired and saw him the first time today .. What a wanker ..

Although, I think he pretends to take the piss because I did ask him a few questions and I still have the feeling he knows jack-sh**
  • dshay25dshay25 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    I think someone should hit HIM with a book.

[X] Co-signed
    WIP:
    -A.S. in Networking and Communications
    -CCENT
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I was talking to a buddy the other day who interviewed a paper MCSE. After a few questions, he gave him a simple written test, and the majority of the questions dealt with PC support. He didn't answer them. When asked why, he simply stated in a matter of factly tone "I do the network, I do not deal with end users."

Needless to say, he didn't get the job.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Definitely a brain dumper
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I was talking to a buddy the other day who interviewed a paper MCSE. After a few questions, he gave him a simple written test, and the majority of the questions dealt with PC support. He didn't answer them. When asked why, he simply stated in a matter of factly tone "I do the network, I do not deal with end users."

WOW....*speechless* Why even go in for the interview? I guess he thought he had it in the bag.....lolicon_lol.gif

Better luck next time....icon_study.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□

I've known and worked with people like this. They don't want to acknowledge that IT is customer service industry & their career suffers because of it. The days of IT guys being jerks are over. /tear
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not surprised with this at all. At my former job, we had to train an offshore team from India and they couldn't even create an account in AD or reset passwords. They were brought in and were so called "Windows and Linux Systems Administrators". It was a total joke and everyone knew they sucked. At first I was very annoyed but then I started to realize the company was going to be screwed in a few weeks and it didn't matter.

Right now I'm lucky because the whole IT department is me and one other guy. He is the Network Admin and knows his stuff so I never deal with "paper MCSE's" or anyone like that.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wow, wow, and WOW! How has this guy been able to stay around in IT for this long??? How pathetic!
  • t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    One guy (MCP of 2000 Pro and 2000 Server) had the balls to call me and asks how to change a user's password.

Well needless to say I said I am busy and told him to call his escalation guy who is actually our manager ...

I hope he doesn't "find" the answer on google and indeed calls him ...

I know people like that. I guess a lot of people know how to BS their way to a position since he was working for you guys. Funny thing is simple things like that one should already know without even being a MCP.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    I'm a paper MCP on Win XP and even I know how to do that. Do you hate me?
  • thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    Mine is slighty different working as the trainee support assistant I have to teach the new team members who are full support analyst how to their jobs. I would'nt mind but they have been there nearly a year and they still don't know what they are doing lol.

These people also have cert and can't back them up. At the moment I currently doing my ccna and making sure I can apply that knowledge because I don't know about anyone else what the point in having a certification that you can't back up it's pointless and you end looking like a twat.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

What kind of PC support questions did they ask? The sorts of stuff the MCSE covers or more those things expected by folks who work up through helpdesk and obtain the MCSE.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I have to say that when I was teaching the MCDST in the evenings, one of the students had a MCSE 2000 and he didn't know how to change passwords. A little annoying to say the least...

-Ken
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wow. It's things like that that really devalue the certifications that they hold. Some people are just dumb. Probably saw the ad "You can make 100k with your MCSE!" and went to the 6 week course, passed the exam and hit the IT industry with his "talent". WTF.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    I have to say that when I was teaching the MCDST in the evenings, one of the students had a MCSE 2000 and he didn't know how to change passwords. A little annoying to say the least...

-Ken

Sounds like the MCSE2K I interviewed a few years ago who didn't know what dhcp was....
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    When I lived in Dallas years ago, that was all the rage. Become an MCSE, no experience needed. In six short weeks you too can make 125k/yr. Some schools even "through in for free" a CNE as well if interested. Now you're at 12 weeks but start at 175k. So folks dropped 5-7k for classes, passed the test then walked into interviews.

Boy, they got a shock when told you can start at our help desk for 12.00/hr. "But, but, my instructor and adviser assured me ....."

I know someone who did this. He refused to take a help desk job, stayed at fast food till "employers came to their senses and paid the rate he was entitled to."
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Gomjaba wrote: »

You should have said you know this guy who's looking for a job and willing to relocate.

*hint* *hint*

That sucks though. Although, I think that's more braindead than paper; how much more fundamental task could there be? You should be able to do that without any certs. I'm pretty sure they cover that about five pages in icon_lol.gif
    bertieb wrote: »
    Sounds like the MCSE2K I interviewed a few years ago who didn't know what dhcp was....

Ok, now I'm curious. I don't have an MCSE2k, so, what is this DHCP you speak of?
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When I lived in Dallas years ago, that was all the rage. Become an MCSE, no experience needed. In six short weeks you too can make 125k/yr. Some schools even "through in for free" a CNE as well if interested. Now you're at 12 weeks but start at 175k. So folks dropped 5-7k for classes, passed the test then walked into interviews.

Boy, they got a shock when told you can start at our help desk for 12.00/hr. "But, but, my instructor and adviser assured me ....."

I know someone who did this. He refused to take a help desk job, stayed at fast food till "employers came to their senses and paid the rate he was entitled to."

A sucker born every minute. Still that's why experience pays. No doubt the study mills had MCT's on staff!