IPv6 prefix question

jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
In Wendall Odom's book he states that Global Unicast addresses start with 2000::/3 meaning that it could be either 2000 or 3000. Is my understanding correct below?

or

Is the reason it could be 2 or 3? If that is correct then link local addresses are FE80::/10 which means:

1111(F)1110(E)10(eight...stupid smileys) which is the /10. Does that mean I can use the remaining two bits to get 1001 (9) 1010 (A) 1011 (B)?

I'm pretty sure I answered my own question but I'm just making sure.

Comments

• jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Another question, and one that I probably won't get an answer to due to NDA...but do you think learning all the RFC numbers is important for ICND2? I don't remember them being important on ICND1 and can't see them being important on the ICND2. Appreciate it.
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Another question, and one that I probably won't get an answer to due to NDA...but do you think learning all the RFC numbers is important for ICND2? I don't remember them being important on ICND1 and can't see them being important on the ICND2. Appreciate it.

I think the only RFC you need to remember is for the private addressing scheme (RFC 1918 ).

Can't remember seeing any other in Odom's books.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Thanks blackninja, that's the only one I remember! There are a few other's mentioned but they are in passing.