Starting to prepare for CCNA:Security

hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
Evening guys,

Im looking to start preparing for this exam in the next couple of weeks or so. I just purchased the "CCNA Security Official Exam Certification Guide" and looking into what else i can get.

Im trying to keep the costs down at the minute so i know there is a new packet tracer out 5.2 i think anyone tried using this for this exam??? Also Ive been using dynamips for my CCNA studies anyone used this for security and just installed sdm.

I really appreciate you getting back to me.

Thanks

Comments

• wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been studying this for the whole month and for a minimum requirement I would say 1 switch and 2 routers.

I am using a 3550 but you should be able to do all the configs on a 2950.
    1 router that can do a basic site to site vpn. I have a 2610.
    1 router that can support at least 12.4(6)T (although 12.4(11) is recommended) and use sdm 2.5 on. I am using a 1841 for that. although I believe you can use a low end 2600XM.
  • hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :)

Im on quite a tight budget at the minute for this exam. Ive got a couple of 2950 switches I was thinking about just integrating them into dynamips and going that way for the time being until I can afford some real kit.

Would you say that would be good enough??

Thanks
    I don't know much as far as what dynamips supports but if you can do at least 2 routers of the stated specs and use SDM on it then you should be good. You should just need 2 routers connected together and a switch by itself. I forgot to mention Advanced security or Advanced IP Services for those IOS packages.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I’ve done a bunch of security labs on both real equipment and GNS3/dynamips. While nothing beats using real gear (I was out of town), SDM will run OK on the emulated routers – just setup some loopback interfaces on your PC to connect to the virtual lab, launch the SDM, and you're off. I found it to be a tad bit buggy (lots of crashes and closing/reopening GNS3) but certainly usable in a pinch.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought The Complete Cisco VPN Configuration Guide and thought it was a great book to have if you´re becoming a Security Engineer.
    Thanks for all your replies guys i appreciate it :)

Ill look into purchasing some routers off ebay when some come up cheap ill make sure sdm is supported before i buy though.
    Lizano wrote: »
    I bought The Complete Cisco VPN Configuration Guide and thought it was a great book to have if you´re becoming a Security Engineer.

I am looking to go the security route so ill check this book out, thanks for the recommendation.
    Lizano wrote: »
    I may have to take a look at that book too.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    hodgey,

What is you experience with cisco over all? I have been studying off and on for a few months and I don't feel a need for a switch since I can run a 16ESW on some of the larger routers to test the L2 functions. So in theory I think you can do it fully with a virtual lab. I'll check tonight to make sure all the functions needed are available.
    shednik wrote: »
    hodgey,

What is you experience with cisco over all? I have been studying off and on for a few months and I don't feel a need for a switch since I can run a 16ESW on some of the larger routers to test the L2 functions. So in theory I think you can do it fully with a virtual lab. I'll check tonight to make sure all the functions needed are available.

I havent really done that much security wise so thats why im planning on doing the CCNA:Security . Ive got the 16ESW running on a 3640 in one of my dynamips labs. I dont have the book as of yet so im not sure about configurations and stuff at the minute.