Does highschool define how well you will do in university

ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
I have a question. Does high school define how well you will do in university I mean you got to have a high diploma or equivalent in order for you to head to university. For a example let's say someone who failed a lot of subjects in high school and that person barely passed high school with barely the credits will he have a hard time in university even though he is doing a subject that he has experience in and that has a passion in ?

This reefers to computer science degree.

Comments

• sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    depends on the person... some folks dont take HS seriously and will do fine at the next level if they can get in. ive seen folks who did great in HS and bombed in college. ive seen folks who didnt do well in HS and did great in college. realllllly hard to say in my view. college opens some doors to the wrong things for some folks and others its a chance to learn some good things they may not have seen in HS.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I guess you need to take a look at why you (I'm assuming you're talking about yourself) did poorly. If you just screwed around and didn't take things seriously, you'll probably be fine if you can establish some good study habits. Do you have any issues (dyslexia, ADHD, etc.) that might inhibit learning? I doubt it boils down to you just being dumb since you're here on TE icon_cool.gif
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    sidsanders wrote: »
    depends on the person... some folks dont take HS seriously and will do fine at the next level if they can get in. ive seen folks who did great in HS and bombed in college. ive seen folks who didnt do well in HS and did great in college. realllllly hard to say in my view. college opens some doors to the wrong things for some folks and others its a chance to learn some good things they may not have seen in HS.

sidesanders got it right!!! On top of that I think that if you are interested in the subject, you'll do better because you'll be more motivated to learn the material.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your past only defines your future if you let it.

MS
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I'm one of those people that did horrible in HS but have a 3.4 in college, although I'm going to a community college right now. I didn't take HS seriously, it was a place that you were forced to go to and had no real reason to do well in my view at the time. A lot of the kids that I went with were idiots along with the teachers. Things changed in college because I realized that we were paying money for me to go and I realized that passing this defines your place in society by the skill sets you learn.

So I guess it depends on when you mature and what your view is of education. If you have the mindset of finishing it then there's a good chance you will but if you let yourself get distracted then you might not (looks at World of Warcraft and remembers all the stories of people dropping out with a partial understanding why).

The only problem I can see about doing bad in HS is having to show a GPA to actually get in the college. Something I'm not sure about is if universities look at HS GPAs if you transfer from a community college. Maybe it depends on the where you're going?
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No it doesnt imo.

I was never great at School but have excelled at university over the last 4 years. BUT that has been simply down to the hard work i have put into it.

Remember, if you put alot into it you are very likely to get a hell of a lot back out. Its never to late to change your ways.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I have a question. Does high school define how well you will do in university I mean you got to have a high diploma or equivalent in order for you to head to university. For a example let's say someone who failed a lot of subjects in high school and that person barely passed high school with barely the credits will he have a hard time in university even though he is doing a subject that he has experience in and that has a passion in ?

This reefers to computer science degree.

NO is doesn't define what you'll do in college...however, one should look at WHY they may have done poorly in HighSchool first.

I've seen people do a whole lot worse in college and I've seen others who basically failed out of HS become college Professors with PhDs, as well as many successful business people who have barely a HS diploma and no college degree. It all depends on YOU ;)

-If you have study habits that need some tweaking, get help. (speak with your HS counselors for ideas or your College advisor).
    -If you have a medical condition preventing you from concentrating or dyslexia or home issues...get help with that.
    -If you weren't interested in the subjects of HS, college will be similar at times...get some help with that (find accountability partners, advisors, pay for a tutor, etc...)

You decide how successful you desire to be in college, set your goals, find someone (advisor, parent etc...) who can make sure you are on the correct track and go do it! You may find you need to spend a whole lot more time on school work then your friends...so remember WHY you have chosen to be in college (and remember who is paying) your good friends will undestand. The party people, don't really care about your best interest, so do what YOU think is best for you to achieve your goals. (However, there is something to be said for social networking too ;) ).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    I guess you need to take a look at why you (I'm assuming you're talking about yourself) did poorly. If you just screwed around and didn't take things seriously, you'll probably be fine if you can establish some good study habits. Do you have any issues (dyslexia, ADHD, etc.) that might inhibit learning? I doubt it boils down to you just being dumb since you're here on TE icon_cool.gif

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

How did I miss this???

Same thing he said, but much shorter ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Just remember, spend your first two years studying, studying, studying. Once you have a good grade point average established, you can have "fun" your last two years and not hurt yourself too much. I wish I would have done it that way. I don't think I would have had to answer "What happened to your GPA?" questions at interviews all that much if I did.